Save or Export Midi Mappings

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SubBreed

Save or Export Midi Mappings

Post by SubBreed » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:31 pm

Hi, I have live lite 11. I got it with my Focusrite 212 and Novation Launchkey Mini 3, I recently also got a Pioneer DDJ-200 Basic DJ controller.

I have managed to have all working in Ableton and I remapped the Launchkey to other functions that I prefer now to use on the DDj200

So now I have a good Midi mapping system and I made this to be my default project so all new projects will have it all ready to go.

The problem I have is that all my old projects before I did this today will have older mappings. I want to replace the new mappings in my older projects as many of these are what I will be working on each day rather than new projects.

So how can I export or save the new mappings so I can easily import them into past projects before today?

thanks in advance

Pitch Black

Re: Save or Export Midi Mappings

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:32 pm

MIDI and QWERTY mappings can’t be transferred between projects, unfortunately.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

SubBreed

Post by SubBreed » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:08 pm

OK that's too bad... thanks for confirming

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:53 am

Some basic stuff can be made to automap using the ‘user remote script’ control surface stuff. But it is for broad scenarios. Not specific mapping to a single specific thing.

For a example, automatic mapping of mutes, volumes across channels.

Or automatic mapping to the macros on a Selected device.

SubBreed

Post by SubBreed » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:11 am

yeah I did look into remote scripts but it looks to be a bit complicated and I would need to research more to understand it.

Would there be a way to copy and paste the Midi settings for both the launchkey and the DDJ200 to an old project file or create a control surface to import rather than manually editing the midi mappings for each old project?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:59 pm

SubBreed wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:11 am
yeah I did look into remote scripts but it looks to be a bit complicated and I would need to research more to understand it.

Would there be a way to copy and paste the Midi settings for both the launchkey and the DDJ200 to an old project file or create a control surface to import rather than manually editing the midi mappings for each old project?
It'd be way easier to do it the other way around:
in a new set where you have all your mappings done, import your old sets' content/clips/tracks.
Ableton Forum Moderator

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:00 pm

Pitch Black wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:32 pm
MIDI and QWERTY mappings can’t be transferred between projects, unfortunately.
But you can save them to your default template... :wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:05 pm

^^This.

For my live showloads, I have a template set with the MIDI mappings all set up for my 3 controllers. Adding a new song to the set is easy, I just import the tracks containing the new Clips/Scenes. All these “music content” tracks aren’t routed directly to the Master, they go through a set of bus tracks - it’s the bus tracks that are the ones with the permanent MIDI mappings.
I find this “modular” approach works really well.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud