Is there really no way to make Drum Racks without duplicating samples?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TequilaKez

Is there really no way to make Drum Racks without duplicating samples?

Post by TequilaKez » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:23 am

So I'd really love to spend time preparing Drum Rack presets and have them available in the browser for use in later projects.

I'm frequently moving between 3 or 4 systems depending on where I am, I'm syncing my User Library to cloud storage which works great for preset files because .adg and .adv files are tiny and are perfect candidates to store in the cloud. As well as instantly having my presets available on all systems, it also acts as a backup.

What I definitely do not want stored in the cloud is samples, as that would just be a big fat waste of time, storage space, and roaming bandwidth.

So, why the heck does Ableton *have* to duplicate and re save samples whenever I save a Drum Rack preset?

In every other DAW sampler I've used, the sample paths can point anywhere (and usually editable). So long as the paths are the same on each machine (e.g ~/Music/Samples/Kicks) it's easy to keep things organised.

So is there no way to save a Drum Rack preset without duplicating samples and changing the paths to the User Libray?

In other words, I want to save a Drum Rack preset using the original sample paths. Is there really no way?
MacBook Pro Retina. Ableton 10/11.