Looper Overdub Not Working - PLS HELP

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
elaskayoung

Looper Overdub Not Working - PLS HELP

Post by elaskayoung » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:29 am

Hi all!

New to Ableton looper and it is driving me crazy
Please my beautiful Ableton family, help me with these three separate issues. I am a man on the edge.
Running Macbook pro OS 12.1 with Ableton Suite 11

1) I've got a few loopers in my project. All set to 1 bar Quant. Record "x bars" then + (Overdub).
Song control= None. Tempo= Follow song temp.
But when I record a loop, it automatically just plays back, it doesn't start overdubbing as it's supposed to.
Then if I try and overdub manually by pressing the overdub button it begins to, but then cuts out after 3 beats and returns to playing with no overdub.
It happens whether I use my mouse or my foot switch and the same on all the loopers set up in the Project.

2) If I pause the loop playback with the stop button, then start it again with the play button, it plays for 3 beats then clears the whole loop, deleting everything and stops.

3) The loopers seem super sensitive to me having hit my trigger pedal at the exact right velocity. On old forums this was addressed by changing midi map mode from 'Absolute' to 'relative' or something like that, but I can't see a fix on suite 11.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Looper Overdub Not Working - PLS HELP

Post by [jur] » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:56 pm

elaskayoung wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:29 am
3) The loopers seem super sensitive to me having hit my trigger pedal at the exact right velocity.
This sounds fishy to me, I wouldn't be surprised if your problem is happening at this stage. You should edit your midi controller's settings so that it sends notes with fixed velocities, or try using control changes instead.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Lvdb_

Re: Looper Overdub Not Working - PLS HELP

Post by Lvdb_ » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:51 pm

I was able to resolve this issue by changing my MIDI controller's signal to a note instead of CC. Unfortunately, I will have to be careful which channels my MIDI instruments receive, but I'm back in business. Had just redone all my mappings but I guess I forgot lessons from long ago haha.