Ableton Live 11.1 - Stability, CPU, bugs and stuff...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Calagan

Ableton Live 11.1 - Stability, CPU, bugs and stuff...

Post by Calagan » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:20 pm

Hi everybody

If you installed and used the new 11.1 version of Ableton Live, please share here your observations regarding CPU use, stability, bugs... etc. etc.

Please indicate your machine, for exemple like following:
Windows 10, CPU i7, GPU Intel HD 4000, RAM 16Gb, SSD 1To
Mac 10.15.7, CPU i9, GPU etc. etc. etc.
and then your remarks

You'll help a lot of people.
I can't update now (I'm on something, and I don't want to risk any troubles), but I'm interested to know how it goes with this new version (specially on old machines like mine)...

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Ableton Live 11.1 - Stability, CPU, bugs and stuff...

Post by [jur] » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:29 pm

Calagan wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:20 pm
I can't update now (I'm on something, and I don't want to risk any troubles), but I'm interested to know how it goes with this new version (specially on old machines like mine)...
You can have and run multiple builds on your machine, so why not just downloading it (instead of auto-updating)?
Ableton Forum Moderator

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:55 pm

[jur] wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:29 pm
You can have and run multiple builds on your machine, so why not just downloading it (instead of auto-updating)?
So, I can run 11.0 and 11.1 next to each other? No wonder auto update is not working.
Or is auto update currently broken and will I end up with two 11.1 installations?

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:59 pm

it won't auto-update, you'll need to grab the full installer

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... 5259263250

ronzoni

Post by ronzoni » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:05 pm

MacOS 12.1 - Apple M1 Max 10-core CPU

Most of my VSTs aren't found, I've rescanned, restarted. etc., and only a handful appear. Oddly I see FabFilter Pro-MB (mono) but not FabFilter Pro-MB, which are in the same directory and installed with the same installer.

If I go back to 11.0 I do see all of my VSTs.

What is the criteria for showing a VST, do these plugins need to be updated so they work in an Ableton M1 version? Or is there a possibility that this is an Ableton issue?

Plugins like Serato Sample don't appear, and I'm on the latest version of Serato Sample.

Thanks

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:20 pm

Ronzoni, read this. :wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator

ronzoni

Post by ronzoni » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:56 pm

Success! I am now seeing all my VSTs 👏👏👏

Calagan

Post by Calagan » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:09 pm

Cool. I don't see a lot of complains, so it seems to be a nice, smooth update...

Raccoon13

Post by Raccoon13 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:28 pm

On wndows same issue!

There`s no option to use the shortcuts from all plugin folders to the custom plugin scan folder.
I`ve tried similar things, and there`s no light in the dark.

In Ableton 11.0.11 I see all my plugins with the shortcut folders in the browser, switching to the new update 11.1, Ableton only scans the one custom folder, without the shortcuts in there.

Has somebody same issue?

Edit:

The only thing, I`ve found out is, you need to copy your dlls and make a real folder in the custom folder and copy them into it. Than you can see them in the browser and load normally.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:54 pm

ronzoni wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:05 pm
MacOS 12.1 - Apple M1 Max 10-core CPU

Most of my VSTs aren't found, I've rescanned, restarted. etc., and only a handful appear. Oddly I see FabFilter Pro-MB (mono) but not FabFilter Pro-MB, which are in the same directory and installed with the same installer.

If I go back to 11.0 I do see all of my VSTs.

What is the criteria for showing a VST, do these plugins need to be updated so they work in an Ableton M1 version? Or is there a possibility that this is an Ableton issue?

Plugins like Serato Sample don't appear, and I'm on the latest version of Serato Sample.

Thanks
Just so you know, only AU plug ins work with Apples Rosetta to host inside a native DAW, so jurs suggestion runs Live itself as a Rosetta application. You can alternatively use the AU versions, and have a smaller CPU hit, but some plug ins like Kontakt will run much worse in Rosetta in a native host.

hughjass

Post by hughjass » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:23 pm

I'm currently experiencing issues with the new Live 11.1 update.

CPU meter and general playback is laggy/freezes quite often when doing normal tasks on a small project. The same project plays/works fine in Ableton Live Beta 11.1b11.

Running a Mac Pro 2019 with Big Sur.

I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing this?

bitzfork

Post by bitzfork » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:33 am

Raccoon13 wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:28 pm
On wndows same issue!

There`s no option to use the shortcuts from all plugin folders to the custom plugin scan folder.
I`ve tried similar things, and there`s no light in the dark.

In Ableton 11.0.11 I see all my plugins with the shortcut folders in the browser, switching to the new update 11.1, Ableton only scans the one custom folder, without the shortcuts in there.

Has somebody same issue?

Edit:

The only thing, I`ve found out is, you need to copy your dlls and make a real folder in the custom folder and copy them into it. Than you can see them in the browser and load normally.
Here is the same issue with me on Windows which is really disappointing. I don't wanna copy my DLLs because:
1. Additional DLLs take additional space (it is not a huge problem, but even Ableton's article says not to move DLLs manually)
2. I need to remember to replace the DLLs with the new version when the plugin update

Btw, I don't use any links for the folders, only for the ddl files. So it doesn't look good: we've never had an option to properly organize VSTs in Ableton's browser, and now the workaround looks closed too.

Chancery

Post by Chancery » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:00 am

M1 Mac mini, macOS Monterey 12.1

Running smoothly here.
The only minor hiccup was Amplitube (AU) opened as demo mode and when authorising, the IK Product Manager quit unexpectedly, but then it was all fine, so fingers crossed.
I have all VSTs disabled so can't report on that.
Also, Ableton's authorisation algorithm sees the Mac as a new device, and that's reflected in the authorisation history with a separate hardware code.
BTW, the clip detail view is looking GOOD.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:16 am

Chancery wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:00 am
M1 Mac mini, macOS Monterey 12.1

Running smoothly here.
The only minor hiccup was Amplitube (AU) opened as demo mode and when authorising, the IK Product Manager quit unexpectedly, but then it was all fine, so fingers crossed.
I have all VSTs disabled so can't report on that.
Also, Ableton's authorisation algorithm sees the Mac as a new device, and that's reflected in the authorisation history with a separate hardware code.
BTW, the clip detail view is looking GOOD.
Amplitube is is working pretty well in AU Rosetta, but I'm a bit impatient for them to port it to native. Live input plug ins like that take CPU and the least they take the better! :x

cids

Post by cids » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:47 pm

hughjass wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:23 pm
I'm currently experiencing issues with the new Live 11.1 update.

CPU meter and general playback is laggy/freezes quite often when doing normal tasks on a small project. The same project plays/works fine in Ableton Live Beta 11.1b11.

Running a Mac Pro 2019 with Big Sur.

I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing this?
Make sure you check your audio settings, Live 11.1 will not transfer over your beta settings so check if settings are the same for 11.1 and 11.1b11
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2