Recents sets are missing ( greyed-out)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
last email

Recents sets are missing ( greyed-out)

Post by last email » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:01 pm

I'm saving all my ableton projects in an external SSD Samsung T7. But every 20 to 30 days more or less, when I'm pluging my SSD, the recents sets and folders in Places are greyed-out (not available). Is there a shorcut/index where Live saves the Recent Sets and Places to manualy locate and re-open?
I haven't remove or rename any folder or projects nor I'm working in cloud. Just pluging my SSD and Live suddenly can't find "Recent Sets and Places". Any thoughts?

Tarekith

Re: Recents sets are missing ( greyed-out)

Post by Tarekith » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:39 pm

Does this happen if you plug in the drive and wait a few minutes before opening Live?
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

last email

Post by last email » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:12 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:39 pm
Does this happen if you plug in the drive and wait a few minutes before opening Live?
Yes, no matter how long I wait, when it loses "Recent Sets" and "Places" they never come back. I'll have to manually re-open all my tracks and relocate the folders in places.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:26 pm

There’s been a couple times in the past two years with my T7 drives where Spotlight on my MBP wouldn’t actually find files I knew were on the drive. Then a short while later on it would randomly start working again. I wonder if there’s some sort of indexing process MacOS does that might be affecting it?
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

last email

Post by last email » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:33 pm

I really don't know, but it's really pain in the @ss whan this happening. I'm on windows 10-64bit by the way.

last email

Post by last email » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:50 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:26 pm
I wonder if there’s some sort of indexing process MacOS does that might be affecting it?
That is exactly what I was thinking. I have a folder in my T7 named "My projects" and inside of this folder I have dozens of subfolders with my tracks. I also have in there my sound libraries (everything in subfolders neatly), which I'm sharing 15 folders in "Places"
I was thinking that there must be an index somewhere and for some strange reason Live lose it. But I can't find it (if it exists).

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:00 pm

Strange indeed. You can see your files from the Explorer correctly? Only Live is blind?
Ableton Forum Moderator

last email

Post by last email » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:33 pm

[jur] wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:00 pm
Strange indeed. You can see your files from the Explorer correctly? Only Live is blind?
Yes, all files and folders appear on explorer, but not in Live. As I have already said I have to manually place them again, one by one.

last email

Post by last email » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:42 pm

Any suggestions? Anyone?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:29 pm

last email wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:42 pm
Any suggestions? Anyone?
Contact support:

https://www.ableton.com/en/help/#contact-support
Ableton Forum Moderator

kbaraka

Post by kbaraka » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:52 pm

Bump

Having the same issues recently, did anybody find a solution to this?

merges

Post by merges » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:56 am

Just experienced this problem, too. Ableton suddenly decided my Library, which was on the same external SSD as my sets, was "not available." I verified that the disk was fine (Disk Utility, First Aid) and that Finder and other applications had access to the drive. Live did not repair itself; I had to re-choose the location of the Library. This at first did not work; Live's library choosing "browse" dialog could not see the contents of my SSD, even though I could in Finder. I restarted Live a couple of times and eventually was able to re-choose the folder on the SSD.

The previously accessible, recent Live Sets, all on the same SSD, never became un-greyed. But I think Live is more or less working properly for now. Not sure what happened. It's like the SSD "id" changed somehow and Live lost its access/connection to it.

merges

Post by merges » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:02 am

Update:
Some AU plugins had components (content) that were installed on that SSD. Now when I open my sets with those plugins, the plugins do not load.

Update 2:
It seems this may be due to a "failed" unmounting of the external drive, even though I always "Eject" it from Finder properly. Apparently this can cause Mac OS to create a "ghost" mount point for the external drive in the /Volumes directory. (This looks to the file system like an empty/inaccessible directory with the name of the external drive; the external drive then gets a new mount point with a numeral after it, e.g. "SSD" becomes "SSD 1".)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/25 ... ortBy=best

The solution was to delete the "ghost" mount point and restart the computer. Mac OS has restored the mount point in /Volumes with the correct name and I was able to re-choose my Library locations in Live, re-choose default templates, and sets with the plug-ins that relied on the external drive are working again.