The Ableton Users Committee

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Myth Healer

The Ableton Users Committee

Post by Myth Healer » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:09 pm

All persons who post on these user's forums have an influence upon the product through attention to topic. Having said this, if 100 posts are going in 100 directions it would be a maze of confusion for any Ableton employee to sift through.

If we as users were to become more focused (even though we reside in a 'general' forum) the use of this forum would be more productive for those who refer to it when determining what things to change in the 5.0.2 upgrade.

Take the time to write your suggestions in a well thought out manor. Edit your post if it is unclear. Comment on the posts of others; encourage them to edit their post if it is unclear. Quite often posts on problems or bugs seem to be impossible to comprehend. Simple comments on changes in functionality seem to be unclear as to how the difference is a less productive change.

If we were to organize ourselves and select the top three things we really need, I think this may be more influential than 100 comments going in 100 different directions. Can we find two or three persons to begin by agreeing on some functionality that has been reduced or some bug that is present and continues to be a thorn in one's side?

P.S. Please ignore any post that does not address the issues raised here in this initial post. Those abusers of this forum who make comments, off topic, should be dissregarded. When they ruin a perfectly good point with their personal attacks it makes it impossible to carry on any discussion.
Last edited by Myth Healer on Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rasputin

Who died and made you king?

Post by rasputin » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:39 pm

Perhaps buried somewhere in your opaque prose is a point. But you can't have been on the internet very long if you think you're going to dictate the subjects and protocols of peoples' postings in a general forum.

And in your other thread you are setting yourself up for ridicule with your speculations on the skill, psychology and technical methodology of Ableton's software engineers.

And although I know it's bad form to nitpick on spelling (I guess you're not a native English writer) it's:

bug, confusion, scary, initially, translator, extremely, sluggishness, and mediocrity (although mediocracy is sort of a cool word), amongst many others

Sorry; I'm not perfect and the odd typo creeps in but your orthography makes your writing too much work to try to follow.

Myth Healer

its intentional...

Post by Myth Healer » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:57 pm

Your off topic comment--
"Perhaps buried somewhere in your opaque prose is a point."

Myth Healer-
Maybe it is a comprehension skill problem of yours?

Your off topic comment-
"But you can't have been on the internet very long if you think you're going to dictate the subjects and protocols of peoples' postings in a general forum."

Myth Healer-
I just think that if we were more focussed we would influence more positive changes in the software. Does this seem logical to you? Or do you wish to attack reason?

Your off topic "point"-
"And in your other thread you are setting yourself up for ridicule with your speculations on the skill, psychology and technical methodology of Ableton's software engineers."

Myth Healer-
Well, the one's who are worthy of their posission should not feel any ill will about my post. It will set the wanna be arrogant persons who blame the genius for all the problems. The one who gets really angry is ussually the least skilled. The genius knows who he is. It is possible he is the onlooker who has been fired several months or years ago.

Your off topic comment-
And although I know it's bad form to nitpick on spelling (I guess you're not a native English writer) it's:

bug, confusion, scary, initially, translator, extremely, sluggishness, and mediocrity (although mediocracy is sort of a cool word), amongst many others

Myth Healer-
I do that so that I can find the biggest off topic, negative, dispersion casting, messenger attacker. You seem to be of the personality type that is the intimidating type that like to critisize the genius? Did I nail your personality? You don't seem to have the skill to write on topic. That is a defficit of comprehension skill. I don't think a spelling error is anyway as horrifying as a comprehension skill defficit.

Your off topic "point"
Sorry; I'm not perfect and the odd typo creeps in but your orthography makes your writing too much work to try to follow.

Myth Healer-
Critisize some other person, your too much work for me to correct.

there were over 300 responses suggesting I was onto something that others know to be an important issue.

Are you trying to score points with Ableton? I'm trying to get to the bottom of why they are having so many issues with the software. I tried the Beta and it nearly killed my system, had to roll back to an earlier system date.

anonymouse

Post by anonymouse » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:00 pm

I think Myth Healer has an excellent point. I hope he or she will take control of the Ableton forum and reformat it in the succinct and easy-to-read style that characterises their writing style.

If you've any spare time, could you also re-tag my MP3 collection and find & match all my socks. World peace will be just around the corner.

Myth Healer

Please be more specific---

Post by Myth Healer » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:11 pm

Anon-
I think Myth Healer has an excellent point.

Myth Healer-
thanks...

Anon-
I hope he or she will take control of the Ableton forum and reformat it

Myth Healer-
I think you can apreciate the influence the Ableton users would have on the developers if critisizms were reduced to a few most important points. This was my innitial intent behind the first post.

Anon-
in the succinct and easy-to-read style that characterises their writing style.

Myth Healer--
Would you like for me to edit those innitial ideas? (assuming this IS sarcam)

Like I mentioned earlier, if I knew company was comming, and in such large numbers, I would have used spell check. I would have spent more time on the overall form of the writing. I don't think your attacks upon my person are as well taken as my ideas for suggesting that the users of the forum rally around a few good ideas rather than to go off in all different directions.

Your 'goal' is to attack me? (small fish, small improvement to the forum if I use spell check).

My goal is to focuss the users to unite around a few good suggestions or problems to fix in the software.

I think the reasonable reader will see the difference in intent between the two of us.

drush

Post by drush » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:12 pm

it's blaringly obvious that the Abes don't glean anything useful from these forums, not to mention so obviously strictly a matter of luck that the features found in versions 4 and 5 of the app matched 90% of what we were looking for.

thank god we've found a solution.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:17 pm

just 1 thing Myth Healer: you might get very disappointed with 5.0.2
it's probably going to be a bug fix update, meaning there souldn't be much change in Live's functionalities
so don't expect too much from it.

there souldn't be anything new before 5.1.x

that leaves you some time to re-organize the forums

anonymouse

Post by anonymouse » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:21 pm

Myth, I am just being practical. Your notion of regularising these forums is about as realistic as teaching a cloud of midges to land at Heathrow.

Your objective should be to learn how to use the freedom of forum to garner support for your ideas or bug fixes; not to control it.

Thus far, I can't help reading your posts without hearing the calmly menacing voice of Hal. :)

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:26 pm

hmmm
there's a bugs & problems section of the forum for bugs & problems. The Abes check that occasionally and also ask that if you have a bug or problem to email them directly.

there is also a feature wishlist section of the forum for users to request new features for future updates.

i think the infrastructure is in place already.

and the abes read and monitor those 2 sections of the forum more than you may think they do.

Myth Healer

Here's that poor comprehension skill problem again

Post by Myth Healer » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:29 pm

How did you (anonymouse) manage to change my intent from--wanting everyone to rally around a few good ideas--to your implying that I wish to "control" the forum?
Last edited by Myth Healer on Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anonymouse

Re: Missing something here.

Post by anonymouse » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:32 pm

Myth Healer wrote:wanting everyone to agree
Myth Healer wrote:control the forum
It's a fine line. Whose opinion did you want everyone to agree to?

rasputin

Well, it's clear he's a troll at this point

Post by rasputin » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:33 pm

Well, this was briefly entertaining, but it's pretty obvious from his "ressponcce" to me-- and the fact that the sly sarcasm of anonymouse went zipping blithely over his head--that he's just trolling for attention. Mr. Myth: do clean your keyboard though; those stickking keyys are quite annoyingg!

Best regards,

r.

supster

Re: Missing something here.

Post by supster » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:34 pm

anonymouse wrote: It's a fine line. Whose opinion did you want everyone to agree to?

Anakin: "... i think there should be one wise leader that makes the final decision; people should trust him"

Padme: "and what if people disagree? then what?"

Anakin: "well .. then they should be MADE to agree"

8O
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

telekom

Post by telekom » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:35 pm

Second that Adamjay.
I think the forum is fine. If it seems like an unfocussed place then it may require the user to work harder to find what they want. But since the forum is basically a mildly moderated public discussion board it could range anywhere from utter censorship to utter anarchy. And I don't like censorship, so I'm willing to let the majority work it out themselves. I love the forum. I think the space between censorship and anarchy which the forum occupies is a healthy one, and it can't be decided upon by one or two people. It's different every day because different people occupy it. Who would want to be in the unenviable position of "structuring" this place when it has a usable structure now? The only thing I would change about it is I would make it less addictive so I would spend more time using Live.
:)

2p for ya
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

Myth Healer

Gee dude

Post by Myth Healer » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:37 pm

your opinion
it's pretty obvious from his "ressponcce" to me-- and the fact that the sly sarcasm of anonymouse went zipping blithely over his head--

Myth Healer
Not over my head... I did comment on it, but it was overlooked in the edit of the post.

why you so puffy about this? 8O