Ableton Live 11.1 Post Installation: saving unnecessary space.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
J_R

Ableton Live 11.1 Post Installation: saving unnecessary space.

Post by J_R » Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:06 am

When installing Live 11.1 and telling Ableton that I wanted to Replace V 10.0, Ableton presented the message: “The folder you’re trying to use already exists. You can only install Live to a new folder.” To me this meant ABLETON LIVE WAS ONLY GOING TO INSTALL VERSION 11.1 AS A SEPARATE APPLICATION (despite me telling it to replace the original).

I changed the installation folder to C:ProgramData\Ableton\Live 11.1 Suite, the installation proceeded, the computer restarted, and I ended up with “Ableton Live 11 Suite (11.1)” installed in the Directory “…Ableton” along with (Folders) “.Live 10 Suite_updated”, “Live 10 Intro”, “Live 10 Suite”, “Live 11 Suite”, and “Live 11.1 Suite”.

Although I’d succeeded in getting Ableton Live 11.1 I wasn’t, and am still not, sure whether Live 10.0 got replaced or another version (11.1) was installed alongside it.

The situation is further complicated because of the size/# items installed in each of these folders:
“.Live 10 Suite_updated”: 674 MB 2,843 Files, 230 Folders
“Live 10 Intro”, 2.86 GB 30,377 Files, 2,626 Folders
“Live 10 Suite”, 3.12 GB 30,620 Files, 2,655 Folders
“Live 11 Suite”, 10.5 GB 96,343 Files, 7,996 Folders
“Live 11.1 Suite”. 3.88 GB 32,434 Files, 2,435 Folders

Given what I now have, I’d like to know:
Situation #1)
If I only want to be able to run Ableton Live 11.1 Suite, can I delete Folders
“.Live 10 Suite_updated”,
“Live 10 Intro”,
“Live 10 Suite”, AND
“Live 11 Suite” and
..........Ableton Live 11.1 Suite will run properly?

Situation #2)
If I want to be able to run Ableton Live 11.1 Suite AND Ableton Live 10 Suite can I delete Folders
“.Live 10 Suite_updated”,
“Live 10 Intro”,
“Live 10 Suite”, AND
“Live 11 Suite” and
..........Ableton Live 11.1 and Ableton Live 10 will run properly?

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Ableton Live 11.1 Post Installation: saving unnecessary space.

Post by [jur] » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:44 pm

You can delete the version(s) you're not using.
Just make sure to NOT delete your User Library.
Ableton Forum Moderator

J_R

Post by J_R » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:04 pm

Thank you.
(To confirm)

So to only use Ableton Live 10 and Ableton Live 11.1
I CAN delete “.Live 10 Suite_updated”: “Live 10 Intro”; and “Live 11 Suite”.

Leaving only “Live 10 Suite” and “Live 11.1 Suite”.
Right?

Since you brought up the User Library:
  • Q1) - Is the User Library an issue I need to be concerned with if the only things I am deleting are Directories in the ...ProgramData/Ableton Directory?
    - Are any components of the User Library contained in any of the folders in the ...ProgramData/Ableton Directory?
Q2) Is a way to test this for myself to place all the Folders I'm planning to delete within a dummy folder (named e.g. 'ToBeDeleted') and see what happens?

Q3) Does the latest version of the User Library migrate-up or migrate-down to later-versions/earlier-versions respectively?

cundare

Post by cundare » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:28 pm

Similar question:

I just installed the 11.2 upgrade. 11.1 was already installed on my Windows system. The installer mentioned that I could either update 11.1 to 11.2 or add a duplicate (11.2) installation. However, during the installation process, no such options were offered. So I now have two versions of Ableton installed. I only want one.

I could uninstall 11.1 in Control Panel, but if I do, would I lose any settings, installed add-ons/packs, or any other important things installed in my 11.1 version? The Ableton uninstaller gives no options, just an "Uninstall" button that doesn't let users select what to uninstall and what to save. I'm sure we're all aware of programs for which updates are incremental, relying on software components that were installed in an earlier version; that is, uninstalling an older version disables all all later versions.

I have "automatic updates" enabled, but apparently, that didn't make a difference with 11.2, which had to be installed manually.

====

Sorta-related question: The reason I'm posting here as a reply, rather than creating a new topic. is because I don't see any way to do the latter. The Ableton knowledgebase is not helpful -- it says to click the "New Topic" button at the bottom of the screen in any forum. But I see no such button. I'm registered, I have a legal copy of the Live 11 Suite, I obviously have a forum username, etc., etc. But I see no way to start a new topic, only to reply to somebody else's post. What could I possibly be doing wrong?

If Ableton has a suggestion box, how about revising the forum UI to be more like that of an email system, with a row of prominent buttons across the top of every forum screen that allow easy access to the most common, important functions -- create new topic, reply, forward, delete selected, select all, edit or delete posting, etc.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:17 am

Same answer as before: you can thrash the version you don't want to run. You won't loose anything content-wise.
Ableton Forum Moderator