Ryzen problems

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
lkw01

Re: Ryzen problems

Post by lkw01 » Fri May 20, 2022 5:52 am

bfreitas wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 1:50 pm
Update: latest chipset driver from AMD seems to have fixed it
has it been fixed? I'm considering on buying 5700g or 5600g. My current amd a6 just can't handle it anymore.

-msi b450m mortar max
-2x 8gb 3200mhz
- behringer umc22

planet_b

Post by planet_b » Fri May 20, 2022 7:18 am

I built a 5950x rig last month, haven't had such issues, so maybe it's not that widespread problem. I'm on Win10 so I disabled TPM completely. The current AMD chipset version 4.03.03.431 was already available at the time of install, so that's the only version I have experience with.

The good old Live "performance test" of loading the Live built-in demo song and multiplying the whole set.. I can get to around 400 tracks before drops in audio. The CPU could handle much more (Windows CPU meter is at 70% by this time) but some cores are hitting 100% load so the glitching begins because of that.

lkw01

Post by lkw01 » Sat May 21, 2022 11:13 am

planet_b wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:18 am
I built a 5950x rig last month, haven't had such issues, so maybe it's not that widespread problem. I'm on Win10 so I disabled TPM completely. The current AMD chipset version 4.03.03.431 was already available at the time of install, so that's the only version I have experience with.

The good old Live "performance test" of loading the Live built-in demo song and multiplying the whole set.. I can get to around 400 tracks before drops in audio. The CPU could handle much more (Windows CPU meter is at 70% by this time) but some cores are hitting 100% load so the glitching begins because of that.
is it a good thing or a bad thing?

planet_b

Post by planet_b » Sun May 22, 2022 11:23 am

Well, life was simpler with my previous Intel i7 based setup. With Windows power profiles, toggling between the normal desktop/web browsing usage (power saver profile) and DAW use (high performance profile) was pretty convenient. As Intel has stopped even trying to make power efficient CPU's these days, meanwhile AMD's power saving features are very agressive in comparison. I think this contributes much to how well they suit to each one's usage "out of the box". With Ryzen 5000 series, the "AMD optimized" power profiles are no longer installed with the chipset drivers, so even having "high performance" profile on, the cores will go to sleep when idle, and while they are loaded, their frequency can be anything between 0.3 GHz and 5 GHz.

With static image rendering in offline mode, the CPU cores are fully utilized like the image below, all cores are at equal clock speed, and the rendering is only limited by the TDC and EDC power settings.

But when we go to the DAW world, where processing is realtime

This is where we have the Live 11 demo song multiplied until it's 405 tracks. Only two CPU cores are heavily loaded and there are more than half that are running below their base clock 3.4 GHz. And the constant juggling of the core speeds doesn't translate that well into low latency realtime processing. Sometimes it glitches at this point, sometimes it doesn't.

There are BIOS level settings that will disable the power saving features, and leave the clocks running at static setting. And/or static overclock on certain cpu speed. But this would end up keep the CPU running much warmer, the fan noise increases etc.

Of course, that 405 tracks is an absurd amount and doesn't represent my needs, but yet still.. a bit disappointing after having high hopes of upgrading to 16 core cpu. Like said.. life was simpler with Intel, now I need to dig very deep into the BIOS and the overclocking tools to get optimal performance.. :)

lkw01

Post by lkw01 » Mon May 23, 2022 11:55 am

planet_b wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 11:23 am
Well, life was simpler with my previous Intel i7 based setup. With Windows power profiles, toggling between the normal desktop/web browsing usage (power saver profile) and DAW use (high performance profile) was pretty convenient. As Intel has stopped even trying to make power efficient CPU's these days, meanwhile AMD's power saving features are very agressive in comparison. I think this contributes much to how well they suit to each one's usage "out of the box". With Ryzen 5000 series, the "AMD optimized" power profiles are no longer installed with the chipset drivers, so even having "high performance" profile on, the cores will go to sleep when idle, and while they are loaded, their frequency can be anything between 0.3 GHz and 5 GHz.

With static image rendering in offline mode, the CPU cores are fully utilized like the image below, all cores are at equal clock speed, and the rendering is only limited by the TDC and EDC power settings.

This is where we have the Live 11 demo song multiplied until it's 405 tracks. Only two CPU cores are heavily loaded and there are more than half that are running below their base clock 3.4 GHz. And the constant juggling of the core speeds doesn't translate that well into low latency realtime processing. Sometimes it glitches at this point, sometimes it doesn't.

There are BIOS level settings that will disable the power saving features, and leave the clocks running at static setting. And/or static overclock on certain cpu speed. But this would end up keep the CPU running much warmer, the fan noise increases etc.

Of course, that 405 tracks is an absurd amount and doesn't represent my needs, but yet still.. a bit disappointing after having high hopes of upgrading to 16 core cpu. Like said.. life was simpler with Intel, now I need to dig very deep into the BIOS and the overclocking tools to get optimal performance.. :)
should I go with 5700g?

lkw01

Post by lkw01 » Mon May 23, 2022 12:05 pm

planet_b wrote:

Do share it here if you found a way to unlock the full potential of the cpu in ableton. :lol:

planet_b

Post by planet_b » Tue May 24, 2022 4:55 am

lkw01 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 11:55 am
should I go with 5700g?
That is tricky question. :) But since you asked me, I would rather go with i5 12600k now, it's cheaper too. If it wasn't such pain to install all the plugins, I would switch back to Intel.

lkw01

Post by lkw01 » Tue May 24, 2022 12:02 pm

planet_b wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 4:55 am
lkw01 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 11:55 am
should I go with 5700g?
That is tricky question. :) But since you asked me, I would rather go with i5 12600k now, it's cheaper too. If it wasn't such pain to install all the plugins, I would switch back to Intel.
don't know about intel 12th gen though, there's might be an issue with the P and E core situation. plus with the gpu situation.

Tuze

Post by Tuze » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:22 pm

planet_b wrote:

If you're working on multiple tracks, but only 2 cores are used, this seems to be more of an Ableton problem (which people should report to them, and Ableton should address) than CPU problem. Lets just say that other DAWs do not have this same problem.

Jakethesnake123

Post by Jakethesnake123 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:19 pm

Did you solve this? I have the same issue. Where all of my equipment including audio interface and sound system, headphones sound good until I open Ableton. The second I open it any audio I play from any audio output on my computer starts crackling so badly I can hardly hear what's playing. I've done every "fix" known to the internet and nothing changes. Everything is updated, reinstalled, wired checked, power settings adjusted, firewalls disabled, wifi disabled, all other audio outputs disabled. Ive thought it may be a Ryzen issue also but I can't see why. The problem has only occured on and off for the past few years until suddenly I can't use Ableton at all. I don't think there was an update, I'm on a trial version right now that just downloaded 2 weeks ago, it was working most of the time. Now it isn't. It has to be an ableton issue. Not hardware. Possibly a glitch with Ryan CPUs? But I don't know. Any input would be so much appreciated. I just want to make music lol

planet_b

Post by planet_b » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:18 am

No, it hasn't got any better. CPU meter in Live is hitting 100% while Windows task manager CPU loads say 40% and half of the processor cores are running at 0.9 - 1.5 GHz clockspeed. I'm even running at 4096 ASIO buffer size (M-audio drivers have such madness maximum), as I have tried to squeeze a little more usable power out of this..