Ryzen problems

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Viktr

Ryzen problems

Post by Viktr » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:36 am

To make a story short!

I decided to build me a new computer, went with the ryzen 5700G processor, and as soon as i start ableton the speakers starts to crackle, if i tab out from ableton and scroll on internet it crackles, if i record something in ableton it crackles. And i have read forums and been looking to find information to solve the problem and it feels like i have tried everything now..

I have read that many have this problem with ryzen processors?

So today i decided to order a new motherboard and a new intel i5 processor. I hope that will solve the problem.

Anyone else who had this problem who have a solution?

miyaru

Re: Ryzen problems

Post by miyaru » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:07 am

Many guys/girls overhere use AMD stuff without any problems..... Strange things happen to you!

I always felt, I'm better of with Intel, so for the last 20 years I only used Intel, and never had any problem.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:58 pm

Viktr wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:36 am
To make a story short!

I decided to build me a new computer, went with the ryzen 5700G processor, and as soon as i start ableton the speakers starts to crackle, if i tab out from ableton and scroll on internet it crackles, if i record something in ableton it crackles. And i have read forums and been looking to find information to solve the problem and it feels like i have tried everything now..

I have read that many have this problem with ryzen processors?

So today i decided to order a new motherboard and a new intel i5 processor. I hope that will solve the problem.

Anyone else who had this problem who have a solution?
I use a Ryzen processor without any problems.

But why do you think it's the processor? Because some other people with Ryzen processors have issues? Well, so do users with Intel processors.
Why could it not be any other part of the hardware, including your audio interface. What about the Windows and driver settings or the settings in Live itself? Everything could have an effect so buying a new motherboard without knowing the exact problem doesn't sound as a smart 'solution'.

Viktr

Post by Viktr » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:20 pm

I tried all the things in this link: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... o-dropouts

Im using a uad interface that worked fine on my old computer, i also tried another interface with the same problem.

My old computer had intel i7 10700k and i never had this problem before, not on the macbooks i used to.

Im just tired to spend hours and hours to try and reinstall stuff and try different programs so it felt easier for me to try this solution..

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:33 am

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:51 am

If I remember correctly Windows power management does have options specifically for the Ryzen cpu's.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:29 am

Viktr wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:20 pm
I tried all the things in this link: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... o-dropouts

Im using a uad interface that worked fine on my old computer, i also tried another interface with the same problem.

My old computer had intel i7 10700k and i never had this problem before, not on the macbooks i used to.

Im just tired to spend hours and hours to try and reinstall stuff and try different programs so it felt easier for me to try this solution..
Since you're not specifying any details about your AMD system and Windows version I don't know if the following is relevant (or was now that you switched to Intel).
Firmware TPM causes intermittent system stutter.

Anyway, Intel or AMD, just buy a dedicated TPM module. They're cheap and don't have all the disadvantages firmware TPM has.
Last edited by Rivanni on Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:40 am

Mark Williams wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:51 am
If I remember correctly Windows power management does have options specifically for the Ryzen cpu's.
True. It's a requirement. Don't use the High Performance plan.

If you use Windows 11, make sure it is up-to-date (every OS for that matter) because with the release of Windows 11 there were some issues that had an impact on performance, including this one.
Windows® 11 Performance Variation in Certain Applications..

Viktr

Post by Viktr » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:26 am

Sorry for that, i have the
Ryzen 7 5700G
Asus Rog strix b550-i gaming
Nvidia 3060
32gb memory
2tb m2 samsung 980 evo
Corsair SF600 600W 80+Gold

Windows 11, latest version, installed all the lates drivers for motherboard, tested all the things in diffrent ableton guides with different programs but still this annoying crackles..

The thing that bothers me the most is that i never had problems before, just installed ableton and then it was fine..

Im going to install the intel processor and motherboard today, going to be interesting to see if this solves the problem!

Thanks to everyone for being nice and try to help!

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:59 pm

Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

Viktr

Post by Viktr » Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:26 pm

Funny thing is now that i installed the intel processor and motherboard, the first thing i did was to install ableton and my interface, it works directly! No problems, no crackles and i have not even installed the drivers for the motherboard yet!

Super happy!

bfreitas

Post by bfreitas » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:34 am

Exact same CPU, exact same problem, exact same frustration: no solutions for our issue. We prob have to wait for a bios update from AMD, but I'm not discarding the possibility of it also being an Ableton bug with our processor

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:32 pm

What version of Windows are you running? Is Windows fully up-to-date? Did you install the AMD chipset drivers? Same for the audio interface drivers. What is the Power setting in Windows set to?

bfreitas

Post by bfreitas » Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:59 am

Windows 10, latest version of everything. It is not a driver issue. I've also already tried every combination of options in the power management configs. Trust me bro, AMD F'd up on the fifth generation of ryzens, especially with the APUs. I have the exact same problem as OP, down to the details, and we have diferent OS and audio interface (mine is and old and humble 1st gen 2i2).

For me at least, the only option I have is to sit and wait for a solution, and keep reporting, ofc.

btw, I already tried running and troubleshooting everything on a clean installation of Windows, tried disabling fTPM and underclocking my RAM. The latter did help a bit for some reason, but disabling fTPM did absolutely nothing.

bfreitas

Post by bfreitas » Wed May 11, 2022 1:50 pm

Update: latest chipset driver from AMD seems to have fixed it