LIVE 10 STRANGE CRACKLING ON PLAYBACK

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MMYYKK

LIVE 10 STRANGE CRACKLING ON PLAYBACK

Post by MMYYKK » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:44 pm

I've been experiencing an extremely frustrating bug and I'm at my wit's end.

For some reason, I'm getting a crackling noise when playing back in Live 10. I'll record something and then when I playback it has a slight crackle, almost like it's clipping, but it's not. I have tried changing the buffer but it happens regardless of what the buffer is set to. strangely, It seems like it only happens when I record in 24/48khz. what's more strange is if I insert some pre-roll or start playback so that there is a space before the sound comes in it doesn't happen. but when I start playing the sample from right before the transient it happens consistently. This is true even when exporting. If I export the track as a sample starting right at the transient it will print the crackle. but If I add a few bars of silence it will not crackle once the sound plays. SUPER ANNOYING since I'm producing sample packs. I have verified that the problem is with LIVE because it does not happen when recording and playing back in Garageband. so I know it's not the interface causing the issue. has anyone else experienced this? hardware specs below:

imac (retina 5K 27-inch, 2020)
Proccesssor - 3.6 GHZ 10-Core Intel core i9
Memory - 96 GB 2668 MH DDR4
Startup Disk - Macintosh HD
Graphics - AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16GB

Interface - TASCAM MODEL 16

Shift Gorden

Re: LIVE 10 STRANGE CRACKLING ON PLAYBACK

Post by Shift Gorden » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:58 pm

Hey mate.

When you change the sample rate (which sometimes gives me issues) are you changing in both Live and in your Tascam interface?

MMYYKK

Post by MMYYKK » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:47 pm

Shift Gorden wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:58 pm
Hey mate.

When you change the sample rate (which sometimes gives me issues) are you changing in both Live and in your Tascam interface?
Hey, yes I am matching the settings across both. and come to find out it actually does not matter what sample rate/bit depth is used. I just experienced the same issue at 16/44.1

MMYYKK

Post by MMYYKK » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:15 am

Update on this:

After contacting Ableton support I was able to resolve this by either turning off Warp or changing the mode from "complex" to "beats". This is only a temporary solution as they are sorting out the issue which seems to be with complex warp.

jonne.b

Post by jonne.b » Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:34 pm

Having the exact same issue on Live 11.

Also just discovered that turning warp off after recording removes the click/pops. This at least saved a session that was recorded the other day with me almost losing it over this issue.

It also seems like you cannot simply turn off the warping altogether for recorded clips. You need to manually disable this after recording.

xuoham

Post by xuoham » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:19 am

Same here,

Glad i'm not the only one.

This is, as you say, SUPER ANNOYING.

I am editing stuff that cannot be done with beat mode.

The extra annoying layer is that it's not even systematic so one might check and think everything is fine, but in reality the next clips might have the problem.
On some projects, it took me to solo a track and monitor with unforgiving headphones like a Beyer DT990 to realize, to my horror, that the quality is sub par because of those cracking artifacts. (nothing to do with buffer size, of course)
What a waste of time ...

Even weirder, as i thought that maybe my hard disk was not keeping up, i tried to consolidate the track: same problem.

Sofar, i managed to get around by putting the consolidated audio files into Izotope RX and declicking them.
But though the result is clean to my ears, i feel a littler insecure about this extra level of processing.

What a drag ....