Ableton Won't Give Me My Free Live 5 Upgrade!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hypomixolydian

Ableton Won't Give Me My Free Live 5 Upgrade!!!

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:27 am

Hi,

A bit of a gripe here and some of you probably will have no sympathy for me.
I bought Ableton 4 a year ago (to update from 3) but didn't actually install it until a few days ago as I wanted to take advantage of the free Live 5 upgrade deal if you unlock by a certain date.
I was happy enough using version 3 because I use either Cubase SX 3 or Logic 5.5.1 to do my audio recording, which is why I didn't install 4.
I wrote to Ableton to explain, but they claim I unlocked Live on the date that I bought it and I know that I definitely didn't!!!! That's unless they mean that unlocking is in actual fact when you buy the program itself. I bought online. The only thing Ableton provided me with was a serial number, but no unlock code. I didn't install 4 until a few days ago so how could I have got an unlock code?
And no, I didn't accidentally install it and then delete it from my hard drive.
I have a feeling I won't get very far with my gripe. After all, it's my word against theirs, even though their records have to show that I was never issued with an unlock code at the time of the purchase.
What do you think? Constructive opinions only please!

telekom

Post by telekom » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:44 am

Hi Fridge magnet,
When you enter your serial number to your version of live it automtically goes to unlock it online when you click 'unlock', otherwise you have to unlock offline by getting in touch with ableton. It looks like maybe you didn't know you were unlocking the software automatically ? If that's what happened then they are indeed right...

Bah... :(
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:04 am

Thanks for your reply Telekom, but I didn't enter my serial number for Live until a few days ago when I installed the program. Ok, at the time of purchase I was issued with a serial number, but I didn't actually use it as I didn't install the program.

Emissary

Re: Ableton Won't Give Me My Free Live 5 Upgrade!!!

Post by Emissary » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:07 am

Astral Fridge Magnet wrote:Hi,

A bit of a gripe here and some of you probably will have no sympathy for me.
I bought Ableton 4 a year ago (to update from 3) but didn't actually install it until a few days ago as I wanted to take advantage of the free Live 5 upgrade deal if you unlock by a certain date.
Some people are really quite odd. you bought live 4 a year ago.......and never used it...so you could upgrade to live 5 for free..............this is insane. INSANE I SAY!!!!!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:07 am

The problem is. You bought the update to Live 4.
Not Live 4.

anonymouse

Post by anonymouse » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:20 am

Maybe the Abes read your forum message history and saw you were enjoying midi functionality in Live over the past year (somehow); thus concluded you were using Live 4 and not Live 3.

I guess the Abes do read the forum.

Hypomixolydian

Re: Ableton Won't Give Me My Free Live 5 Upgrade!!!

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:35 am

Emissary wrote:
Some people are really quite odd. you bought live 4 a year ago.......and never used it...so you could upgrade to live 5 for free..............this is insane. INSANE I SAY!!!!!
Well I did say to quote myself:

Astral Fridge Magnet wrote:
What do you think? Constructive opinions only please!
But I guess I was being a bit unrealistic in that request!!

hoffman2k wrote:The problem is. You bought the update to Live 4.
Not Live 4.
Well, in the email I got from Ableton, they didn't say that was the problem. They said I unlocked the program on the date I bought it, which I didn't.

anonymouse wrote:Maybe the Abes read your forum message history and saw you were enjoying midi functionality in Live over the past year (somehow); thus concluded you were using Live 4 and not Live 3.

I guess the Abes do read the forum.
I have been using the Ableton 4 demo, but as I said, I have never unlocked it. I use all my serious music programs on PCs not connected to internet, so I do try demo and free stuff on my internet PC (the one I am using now to type this to you all), because its not a serious DAW for me.

Thanks for your responses so far.

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:40 am

Hi Astral Fridge Magnet,

please send your data to my email (see below). I will check the data and if it is true, what you are saying, then you will get your free Live 5. My collegues at support and orders can not see the exact history of serial number usage and unlocks as I can. The date stored with the serial number that they see is the first time the serial number is in contact with our system and this is either unlocking or online purchase.

But next time you should use the software you buy, or save the money I would recommend. ;-)

Kind regards, Bernd.
Bernd Roggendorf
roggendorf@ableton.com

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:51 am

Bernd wrote:Hi Astral Fridge Magnet,

please send your data to my email (see below). I will check the data and if it is true, what you are saying, then you will get your free Live 5. My collegues at support and orders can not see the exact history of serial number usage and unlocks as I can. The date stored with the serial number that they see is the first time the serial number is in contact with our system and this is either unlocking or online purchase.

But next time you should use the software you buy, or save the money I would recommend. ;-)

Kind regards, Bernd.

Thank you Bernd for your response. I take your point that I should use the software I buy. I however always feel compelled to update the software that I own, even if I don't get around to installing it until sometimes much later.
Could you also specify what information you need from me please.

Thank You

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:59 am

> I however always feel compelled to update the software that I own

That's the type of users we love. ;-) Just kidding.

Send my one of your Serial Numbers or the email under which your serial numbers are registered.

Kind regards, Bernd.
Bernd Roggendorf
roggendorf@ableton.com

Poster

Post by Poster » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:32 am

Deft

Post by Deft » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:59 am

I'm thinking maybe I should now upgrade to Live 5 and not unlock it in anticipation of Live 6. Mmmm.

sweetjesus

Re: .......

Post by sweetjesus » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:22 pm

post deleted - reason .. my joke sucked...

telekom

Post by telekom » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:26 pm

Until ableton have finished beta testing the new tshirts I'm going to keep wearing the miniscule one I got with live 4. It's skin tight and I can't breathe but hell, I can always upgrade it to a Live 10 tshirt in 2012 when they figure out how to do adult sizes...
:)
Sorry fridge magnet, just having some fun... not criticizin'
:)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:38 pm

I feel I should explain in a little more detail why I didn't install Live 4 until only a few days ago. I realise it is a bit silly not to install software that I have bought. I was happy enough using version 3, but the main reason I waited was I wanted to wait for the definitive bug free version of Live 4, which I guess was now version 4.1.4.
I know this seems extremely fussy of me, maybe you can even say anal retentive, but I hate installing software on my "serious" DAWs until it is totally bug free and has reached its optimum stage of development. I dislike having to install and uninstall, which is the case with Live, while with other software it is usually updated via a patch update. But as I said, I realise that must sound a bit too anal retentive, so excuse me!!!

Finally, I think Ableton support is absolutely fantastic in quickly addressing this problem, no matter what the outcome is. As a gesture of goodwill on my part I will now buy OPERATOR, which by the way I had no intention of buying as I have enough soft synths.