O' Take Lanes, where art thou? [Solved]

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
H20nly

O' Take Lanes, where art thou? [Solved]

Post by H20nly » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:40 am

I had my fist recording session today with a member of our collective after I installed a new computer, audio interface, control surfaces (plus channel strip inserts), a fresh install of Live 11 Suite, new headphone amp, new cans, and even new XLR cables. Everything went flawlessly... except Take Lanes.

I've used them before and they worked fine. Today for the guitar tracks and vocals, I had to kick it old school and duplicate tracks and drag them out (while praying they stay in time) and move blocks around between multiple tracks. I could never find 'Show Take Lanes' or get the shortcut to work...

I have the manual open and it says
Take lanes are automatically created when recording new clips in the Arrangement
That sums up what I was doing, but not where the option is.

I'm confused. Where am I going wrong here? :?
I looked for an option in Preferences I may have to toggle, but found nothing.

More info: It's an older partial set being added to (completed) now in Live 11. Last audio, before today, was recorded in Live 9. I have adjusted the mix in Live 11 before today and even exported as .mp3 and later added a Kontact instrument - so it's been saved several time in Live 11.
There was some automation on the track that was in the way today... I ended up deleting the automation. Any chance that something to do with automation or routing overrides, interferes with, or hides Take Lanes as an option on an Audio track?
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

H20nly

Re: O' Take Lanes, where art thou? [Solved]

Post by H20nly » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:12 pm

In case anyone else ever has the issue...

Disable Automation mode in the set.

This was one of the rare tracks where I used automation. It was enabled on certain tracks, not the ones I was recording guitar/vox to, but apparently having the option on hides the Take Lanes context menu. In my case, I disabled Automation mode from the View menu to get comping back.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:27 pm

Classic :wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator

DjPseudonymous

Post by DjPseudonymous » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:12 pm

Thank Garuda for you guys! This was driving me batty.
I created a new set to play with this feature, and apparently in my default Set Automation mode is on by default. So no Take Lanes menu in context or even under Create. I do use it quite a bit in my work. I presume that once you have your comping all done you can just turn the Auto back on if you need to tweak the comped (main) track.
Manual appears to be silent on this, as far as I can tell. Bad Abes!
Well, there's another half hour I'm closer to the grave. Better get to work now!!