Triggering and looping a sample when pressing on a pad once

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
laurage

Triggering and looping a sample when pressing on a pad once

Post by laurage » Mon May 09, 2022 12:44 am

Hello,

I am very new to Live, and I use Intro. I have searched for several hours how to do the following, without success.

I have created a sample using Simpler. I use an Akai midi controller, and pressing a piano key triggers the sample for as long as I keep the key pressed.

Now, I want to a) use a pad from the Akai instead and b) when pressing that pad, I want the sample to start playing and keep looping indefinitely without me pressing that pad.

To achieve a) I have right clicked on the sample in Simpler and chosen “Group to drum rack”. This has loaded the sample on one of my pads. Success! (But I am not sure if this will let me do the rest, hence mentioning this in case I need to follow another route).

For b), I can't figure out what to do.
If keep the sample on "Classic Playback", I can have it loop but I need to keep pressing down the pad.
If I choose "One-Shot Playback" and toggle "Trigger" on, it plays automatically once I have pressed the pad once, but it won't loop.
Surely there must be a way to do both?

One thing to note is that I want to modify some of the parameters of my Synth with other controls (Frequency, Resolution, Volume), and so whatever solution I use need to preserve the option to modify those live.

(I read somewhere that turning the Release all the way up is the solution. This doesn't work for me because this sample must loop on the entirety of a long track, and therefore this solutions makes it fade away too quickly).

Thanks!