How to slice notes in piano roll

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SiaNas

How to slice notes in piano roll

Post by SiaNas » Tue May 10, 2022 1:48 pm

Hi guys

I am dragging and dropping midi chords onto a track then slicing them in the arrangement view but when I play the notes they stay the same length. Why isn't it slicing the notes in piano roll. I tried to attach a picture but it wouldn't work, sorry.

Thanks for any help.
Sia

Rivanni

Re: How to slice notes in piano roll

Post by Rivanni » Tue May 10, 2022 2:55 pm

Live cannot slice notes, not in arrangement view, not in the midi editor.
In the Arrangement view you can only slice clips, although it's no really slicing. Live creates copies of the clip and changes the start marker. You can see this when you zoom out in the midi editor.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Wed May 11, 2022 11:26 pm

SiaNas wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:48 pm
Hi guys

I am dragging and dropping midi chords onto a track then slicing them in the arrangement view but when I play the notes they stay the same length. Why isn't it slicing the notes in piano roll. I tried to attach a picture but it wouldn't work, sorry.

Thanks for any help.
Sia
This is a common requested feature.

I would add this to their feature request forum page to let them know how important this is for converts.

There is a user created note chopper M4L device if you have Suite.

SiaNas

Post by SiaNas » Fri May 13, 2022 3:45 pm

Rivanni wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 2:55 pm
Live cannot slice notes, not in arrangement view, not in the midi editor.
In the Arrangement view you can only slice clips, although it's no really slicing. Live creates copies of the clip and changes the start marker. You can see this when you zoom out in the midi editor.
Thank you yes I did notice the marker moved but it didn't cut the notes where I wanted them. It did on some but not on others and I didn't know why.

SiaNas

Post by SiaNas » Fri May 13, 2022 3:47 pm

jlgrimes wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 11:26 pm
SiaNas wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:48 pm
Hi guys

Thanks for any help.
Sia
This is a common requested feature.

I would add this to their feature request forum page to let them know how important this is for converts.

There is a user created note chopper M4L device if you have Suite.
Ok cool I will check out forum page and add my request. I have suite and I will look for the chopper. Thank you.