Hardware Ableton Instrument (Ableton in a box)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cementdrums

Hardware Ableton Instrument (Ableton in a box)

Post by cementdrums » Wed May 11, 2022 8:50 pm

Many people have called the Elektron Octatrack "Ableton-in-a-box".
The Octatrack is a wonderful instrument and one that I love dearly. However, I have always thought that a hardware instrument that actually does have Ableton Live at the heart of it would be even better. Ableton is so easy to build and create whatever you want in it, add Max to the equation and the options are limitless!

What features would users want in a hardware Ableton instrument? What kind of layout would you want in such a device?

Tarekith

Re: Hardware Ableton Instrument (Ableton in a box)

Post by Tarekith » Wed May 11, 2022 10:15 pm

Check out the Roland MC707, I think that's MUCH more like Live in a box than the Octatrack is. Clip Grid layout, clips can have their own sounds and effects or inherit those from the track they are on, dozens of effects to choose from on each clip, EQs everywhere, a Beat Repeat like functionality with Scatter Pads, etc.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu May 12, 2022 6:08 am

It really depends on which features each individual values about Ableton Live. And there’s quite the list. Some features stand out from the competition more than others.

Personally, I’m huge into the Apple iOS realm of things. Although there isn’t a single all in one app, there’s quite a vast modular approach. Decide on a host, and accumulate plugins from various app developers. Connect audio interfaces and midi hardware. Decide on phone or iPad.

Sweet spot for me is a simple headphone out with a Bluetooth midi keyboard. Sometimes I get mics connected. But my most ‘common’ use is using Nanostudio 2 as a sketchpad, in my car, waiting til it’s time to clock in.

DunedinDragon

Post by DunedinDragon » Thu May 12, 2022 10:05 am

I would imagine it might be pretty hard to fully simulate all the characteristics of Ableton Live in one box given all the various uses, signal routing options, MIDI integration and so forth. You'd be getting close to the price of a laptop without the benefit of an interface. As just a single instrument it could be useful though in some cases.

circuitslave

Post by circuitslave » Sat May 14, 2022 1:23 am

The closest thing to Ableton in a box is Akai’s Force. It has a session view with clip launching and a linear arranger. Since it has a computer inside it, it can do it all standalone. It can also integrate with a sound card for making it the heart of a an extended hardware setup. Please check the YouTubes for the latest examples of its possibilities. I love mine! :D