Best multichannel Aggregate Device Combos on either Monterey - Intel or Monterey - M1

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LOFA

Best multichannel Aggregate Device Combos on either Monterey - Intel or Monterey - M1

Post by LOFA » Fri May 13, 2022 3:00 am

Hello,

I am working on a few sound-installations with Ableton / MAX. One is supposed to be 12.2 surround sound and the other is going to be either 8.2 or 16.2. channels. I've done some in the past with as many as 10.2, using the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. However, that particular bit of hardware has software that I could see be a conflict when attempting the use of multiple in parallel, via the construction of Aggregate devices (OS X).

Generally, if anyone has successfully used these devices within aggregate devices or if they have another method for creating larger arrays of outs, I would be happy to hear your experiences. I am going to try and borrow a second focusrite tomorrow. I have a Native Instruments complete. I've considered using a series of them instead, but if there are known practices I would be interested in hearing about them.

In the past, I have used Motu's, fw1814's, Tascam fw1884's, etc, but it's not clear to me what is an affordable and reliable solution with either Monteray on Intel or Monteray on M1.

I also see a potential issue with ports. The USB C ports are advertised as being robust enough that you can use adapters to increase the number of connected devices. My experience has been that things fail to operate as well once adapters are thrown into the mix.

Any feedback or input would be valued.

Greenapples2019

Re: Best multichannel Aggregate Device Combos on either Monterey - Intel or Monterey - M1

Post by Greenapples2019 » Fri May 13, 2022 7:35 am

Hi there, I don't have a huge amount of experience with aggregate devices on my 18i20/M1 but FWIW:
1. They create hidden latency i.e. the amount shown in Ableton's preferences doesn't seem to account for some delays in the Mac processing the AD. I'd estimate an additional 5ms or so.
2. I needed to set the AD up before opening Live otherwise Liv wouldn't recognise it
3. Using hubs with my 18i20 is hit-and-miss - some work, some don't and I can't find any way to predict which it'll be.
4. Things seemed a little more reliable with everything (Live, plug-ins etc.) running Native on the M1

I hope that helps a bit. We tried ADs for about six months but then found alternative ways of doing things for our peace of mind.

fishmonkey

Re: Best multichannel Aggregate Device Combos on either Monterey - Intel or Monterey - M1

Post by fishmonkey » Fri May 13, 2022 8:42 am

in general for mission critical stuff aggregate devices are best avoided if possible. it's handy functionality but can cause clocking and other issues.

if you can afford it, you are better off using interfaces that natively support being combined together with their own drivers.
Last edited by fishmonkey on Fri May 13, 2022 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri May 13, 2022 8:54 am

fishmonkey wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 8:42 am
in general for mission critical stuff aggregate devices are best avoided if possible. it's handy functionality but can cause clocking and other issues.

if you can afford it, you are better of using interfaces that natively support being combined together with their own drivers.
+1
Ableton Forum Moderator