Content in Browser

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
an_alien

Content in Browser

Post by an_alien » Fri May 13, 2022 4:53 pm

Hi everybody,

I´m shure it´s a pretty simple thing, but i got stuck: In my User Library -> Defaults I can only find my folder "Instruments", but no "Tracks", no "Effects", no "Slices" etc etc - see the picture behind the link

So for example I have no option to safe something in "Slices" to use it.

How can I get back my folders? May someone help me out with this, please!?

Thank you in advance!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2w2lrj4jaijnz ... 4.png?dl=0

Rivanni

Re: Content in Browser

Post by Rivanni » Fri May 13, 2022 5:41 pm

Do you see other folders when you're using explorer/Finder?
If not, create a slicing folder and see if it appears in Live.

These are the main folders in the Defaults folder:
Audio Effects
Audio to MIDI
Creating Tracks
Dropping Samples
Instruments
MIDI Effects
Plug-In Configurations
Slicing

In my case the MIDI Effects folder is empty but still showing in Live, so I cannot explain why folders are missing in your case?
What happens if you set a track as default. Is a Tracks folder added in Live? or only visible in Explorer/Finder? Or not at all?

Maybe it has something to do with the Ableton Project Info Kopie folder. Try deleting that one first.

an_alien

Post by an_alien » Fri May 13, 2022 6:01 pm

Thank you Rivanni for your answer and trying to help!!!

In the Finder i see the same folders as I see in Live.

I allready tried to create a new folder, and it works. But the problem still is, how does Live know to use the "Slicing" folder to show me when I want to open a Slicing Preset...?

I deleted the Ableton Project Info Kopie, but nothing happens.

Thank you in advance!

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Fri May 13, 2022 6:26 pm

The slicing folder is used when you choose 'Slice To New MIDI Track'. Live should read the Slicing preset folder from disk (whether it is visible in Live or not) and show your own presets in the list with slicing presets. So create a presets and see if this is the case.

an_alien

Post by an_alien » Fri May 13, 2022 6:45 pm

Thank you Rivanni!

But how do I save a preset as "Slicing Preset" when i do not have the original folder "Slicing"?

I already created a folder called "Slicing" and saved a preset into it, but Live doesn´t know that this is the folder in which the slicing presets are and doesn´t show it to me when i want to open a slicing preset.

It seems the "Slicing" folder etc are gone. The "Defaults" folder was gone, too, but when I saved a Instrument as Standard, the folder was created again. I think this should work with "Slices", too. But how do I save a preset for Slices if I do not have the folder where I can drag it?

Thank you in advance!

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Fri May 13, 2022 6:55 pm

You can save your slicing preset in another folder in Live browser and then copy iafterwards to the Slicing folder.

So to quickly test if Live will recognize your custom preset is by creating a drum rack, add a simpler the pad on C1 and save this drum rack under a recognizable name. Then copy or move this preset to the slicing folder. You can drag from Live's browser into the Slicing folder in Finder.
Now test the Slice to New MIDI Track to see if the preset is listed there.

an_alien

Post by an_alien » Fri May 13, 2022 7:00 pm

Thank you!!!

But I do not have the "Slicing" folder in my finder, thats the problem. It seems that it´s gone.
Rivanni wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 6:55 pm
So to quickly test if Live will recognize your custom preset is by creating a drum rack, add a simpler the pad on C1 and save this drum rack under a recognizable name. Then copy or move this preset to the slicing folder. You can drag from Live's browser into the Slicing folder in Finder.
Now test the Slice to New MIDI Track to see if the preset is listed there.
I already did this. But than I cant drag it into the "Slicing" folder bc it is gone. That´s why I asked how I can save stuff as "Slicing Preset"

Cheers

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Fri May 13, 2022 7:11 pm

In my first answer I wrote that you should create the folder if it is not there. I listed all folders, so you can manually add them. Is someting preventing you from adding those folders in the Finder?

Chances are that Live will see the folders when you add them, but if that's not the case you can still add your presets via the Finder?

an_alien

Post by an_alien » Fri May 13, 2022 7:24 pm

Rivanni wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 7:11 pm
In my first answer I wrote that you should create the folder if it is not there. I listed all folders, so you can manually add them. Is someting preventing you from adding those folders in the Finder?

Chances are that Live will see the folders when you add them, but if that's not the case you can still add your presets via the Finder?
Sorry, I did not understand you right. Now I created the folder in the Finder and it worked as you mentioned! GREAT! THANK YOU!!!

I created the folder manualy in the Finder. Then saved a drum rack in "Default", then draged it in the "Slicing" folder in the finder, and now it´s showed when i want to choose a preset for the slices.

Thank you so much for your patience! All the best whishes!

Cheers!

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Fri May 13, 2022 7:43 pm

Great to hear that you got there in the end.