MASSIVE ABLETON 11 ISSUE * HANGING * DROPDOWN MENUS *

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mizziman

MASSIVE ABLETON 11 ISSUE * HANGING * DROPDOWN MENUS *

Post by Mizziman » Fri May 20, 2022 6:05 am

Everytime I try to access a dropdown menu in any part of ableton 11, be it to change the interface or to change the in's and outs of a track the program hangs. Ive tried reinstalling, disabling plugins, etc but to no success. I really need to sort this asap.

This issue started yesterday and before this had no major issues with ableton. The program hangs even on a new project with nothing loaded on it !

I also have live 10 installed and this problem dosen't exist Live 11 hasn't been the most stable especially when compared to 10 which gave me no issues whatsoever.

I'm on a 1st Gen Apple silicon MBP.

cids

Re: MASSIVE ABLETON 11 ISSUE * HANGING * DROPDOWN MENUS *

Post by cids » Fri May 20, 2022 12:21 pm

Try this: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... eset-Live-

Also make sure you're using Live 11.1.5 (latest version)
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri May 20, 2022 1:02 pm

Mizziman wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:05 am
This issue started yesterday
Did you (auto)updated to L11.1.15?
Ableton Forum Moderator

craigyboy

Post by craigyboy » Fri May 20, 2022 3:53 pm

Had similar issues after the automatic update to 11.1.5.

Updated to Beta Version 11.1.5b6 and all is working fine for me.

Have turned automatic updates off for now.
Ableton Live & Music Production Courses
Fife & Edinburgh, Scotland.

https://www.crombiepoint.com
MacBook Pro Mid 2014. macOS Big Sur. UAD Apollo x8.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri May 20, 2022 4:32 pm

craigyboy wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 3:53 pm
Had similar issues after the automatic update to 11.1.5.

Updated to Beta Version 11.1.5b6 and all is working fine for me.

Have turned automatic updates off for now.
Can you report this to support@ableton.com please?
Ableton Forum Moderator

craigyboy

Post by craigyboy » Fri May 20, 2022 9:47 pm

Done 👍

craigyboy

Post by craigyboy » Sun May 22, 2022 10:11 am

Cancel that last post….11.1.5b6 having the same issues.

Crash reports sent to Ableton.

Going to do some more troubleshooting later today.

BertiBauer

Post by BertiBauer » Fri May 27, 2022 1:43 pm

Hi all,

@craigyboy: Were you able to find out anything more?

I am having the same issue on a MacBook Pro M1 Pro running macOS 12.2.1/12.4. I originally auto-updated from 11.1.1 to 11.1.5 and have had the spinning beach ball of death about two seconds after having touched a drop-down menu and making a selection there.

Apart from having sent crash reports to Ableton, I tried the following:

- Deleted 11.1.5, re-installed 11.1, auto-updated to 11.1.1 (which ran fine), then updated to 11.1.5 - same error.
- Deleted 11.1.5, downloaded 11.1.5 directly, installed it - same error. Tried the same with first deleting the preferences folder for 11.1.5 - same error.
- Deleted 11.1.5, installed 11.1.5 again from scratch, set it to open in Rosetta mode - same error.

I also set the permissions on both the Live application as well as the preference folders to basically allow read & write access to everyone/thing in the hope that this is what's causing the problem even though it shouldn't. However - and this may come as a total surprise to anyone who has read this far! :lol: -: Same error.

If any of you have more ideas what I could try, please let me know!

Thanks for any input,
Berti

craigyboy

Post by craigyboy » Fri May 27, 2022 9:14 pm

Hi Berti

Similar story here mate. Live crashes when doing the simplest of tasks - changing audio input, adjusting EQ curve, etc.
I’m running a Late 2014 Macbook Pro, latest version of Big Sur.
Updated and tested each Plugin, found a few rogue plugins which were causing issues so deleted them but still found 11.1.5 to be unusable.
I downgraded to 11.0.1 and everything is working fine.

Unfortunately, I’d started a new project using 11.1.5 so couldn’t open it using 11.0.1. For this project I’ve got away with using 11.1.5beta6, which crashed 4 times during 4 hours work, nowhere near as unstable as 11.1.5.

What Audio Interface are you using?

BertiBauer

Post by BertiBauer » Sat May 28, 2022 5:07 pm

Hello Craigyboy,

Thanks for your reply!

The audio interface I normally use is an Arturia Minifuse 1 (I'm an ITB guy), but I did all the tests I described above without an external interface, just the standard audio inputs and outputs on a Mac. I did this to a) rule out the audio interface and b) to make what I had tried more replicable by others.

However, I have a question for you too: You wrote "[...] when doing the simplest of tasks - changing audio input, adjusting EQ curve, [...]" - does "adjusting EQ curve" literally mean that, ie grabbing for example one of the eight EQ handles in EQ8 and moving it around? I am curious because I can basically do anything in Live, except when it comes to touching (that is clicking on and releasing it again) a drop-down menu - then it's game over.

This afternoon I had the suspicion that it might relate to writing the Undo history for two reasons: When changing the default clip colour in Live's preferences, I could see that the new value would be displayed after I made the selection and the crash would happen afterwards, and also because I had the experience that when I clicked on a drop-down menu but did not change its value, everything would be fine. The latter however, seems to have been a fluke...

I also tried different things like seeing what happens when I insert a Max for Live device (Granulator 2 in this case) and using its drop-down menus. Unsurprisingly, this worked flawlessly and I could also undo it. I say "unsurprisingly" here because I believe that at the end of the day a Max for Live device is not part of Live itself (similar to a plug-in), but has its own process.

I also installed a plug-in (Surge XT), rescanned my plug-ins and saved it in a new Instrument rack, and after fiddling around for a while I tried a drop-down menu in Live again and lo and behold Live wouldn't crash!!

So I tried a few other drop-down menus and it seemed that the issue was gone. To test this, I quit Live, launched again - and was back to square one :(.

So it seems that one can do something to make this weird behaviour stop, but of course I didn't meticulously write down my steps so I can't even replicate this properly... :evil:

BertiBauer

Post by BertiBauer » Sat May 28, 2022 5:26 pm

Quick addendum: I just found some kind of workaround that seems to work reliably: Changing the values of a drop-down menu from Push 2 works without crashing Live, and you can even undo these changes by either using Undo from Push 2, the top menu bar or Command-z!

The only downside is that there are drop-down menus in Live that you can't set/reach when using Push.

craigyboy

Post by craigyboy » Sun May 29, 2022 12:59 pm

Hi Berti

The issue was choosing a different EQ curve from the dropdown menu, changing from bell curve to low pass. Live also crashes a lot for me with menu-based tasks such as changing warp mode, choosing a different algorithm in Hybrid Reverb, and changing sample rate in preferences. All drop-down menu-based actions.

I have been trying different tests, like yourself, such as different audio interfaces. Sometimes I can be working in Live for a few hours and everything is stable. At other times Live will crash every 5-10 minutes.

Good workaround using Push! I can certainly use that for now.

[erm]
Site Admin

Post by [erm] » Sun May 29, 2022 2:27 pm

I’ll make sure this thread gets passed on to the team.
Ableton Forum Administrator

lflw

Post by lflw » Mon May 30, 2022 3:59 am

I've been experiencing the same issue for the past 10 days. Sent a request via Ableton Support form with more info, including process samples, etc. I assume requests can be seen only by the Ableton team, I'll just leave its number here: 2649897.

Niccolò Gentili

Post by Niccolò Gentili » Mon May 30, 2022 9:48 pm

I'm also experiencing the same thing and, as you said in the title, it's a massive issue.
I hope they address it ASAP, I tried a number of fixes without any luck and it's making Live completely unusable for me.
You'd expect something like this could happen in a beta version, not in a regular update... And unfortunately since it was working fine for a week or so I already passed on most of my current working projects to 11.1.5. That makes me completely stuck now :|