Live Not Responding when X32 Rack is connected

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Rich G.

Live Not Responding when X32 Rack is connected

Post by Rich G. » Tue May 24, 2022 2:27 pm

I had been using an X32 Rack mixer with an X-Live card as my audio interface in Ableton Live on a laptop running Win 10 for a couple weeks without problem.

I'm not sure what happened, but Live doesn't want to work with the X32 anymore. If I turn on the mixer then start Live, Live will stop at the intro screen. The instant I turn off the X32, Live advances into the program. If I turn the X32 back on and set audio preferences in Live to use the ASIO / Behringer X-Live, then Live locks up again giving a (Not Responding) message.

If I try a different laptop then everything works fine... That leads me to believe the X32 is working fine.

Things I've tried:
* Updated firmware in X-Live card
* Uninstalled / Reinstalled X-Live ASIO driver
* Uninstalled / Reinstalled Ableton Live

Live isn't crashing so there's no crash report.

Any hints on what I should look for or try?

Tarekith

Re: Live Not Responding when X32 Rack is connected

Post by Tarekith » Tue May 24, 2022 2:40 pm

Are they both set to the same sample rate?
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Rich G.

Re: Live Not Responding when X32 Rack is connected

Post by Rich G. » Tue May 24, 2022 3:27 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 2:40 pm
Are they both set to the same sample rate?
Yes, 44.1k. Live has the sample rate greyed out. Looks like you have to change it in the Hardware Settings of the X32. That ensures Live and the X32 can't have different sample rates.

Interesting development... I went to check the System/Sound settings in Windows and had the same problem. The Sound Settings window became unresponsive until I unplugged the USB cable connected to the X32. I brought up Task Manager and monitored the activity while I plugged the X32 USB back in with the Sound Settings window open. The "Service Host: Windows Audio Endpoints Builder" popped to the top of the CPU load at 22.8% before everything froze.

I unplugged the X32 USB, closed the Task Manager, and Sound Settings windows. I plugged the X32 USB back in, clicked on the little speaker icon in the lower right, changed the selected playback device from one of the X-Live settings to Speakers (High Definition Audio Device).

I went back into System Settings / Sound. It did not lock up this time. I set the default values for the output and input to use the internal speaker and mic (They had been set to X-Live channels).

I opened up Live with the X32 USB still connected. It did not lock up this time. I went into Audio settings and chose the ASIO / X-Live. Still no lock up. Opened a project. Played it. It was a little jerky, but no lock ups / Not Responding!

So... there's some sort of conflict going on when the X-Live is set as the computer's playback device.

Update: It eventually started locking up again. I ended up uninstalling the X_Live USB Driver 5.12.0, then installed 4.59. That seems to have fixed the problem. I then installed 5.12.0 and it's still working.