How can I record only a sound effect and not my original voice?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
UI369

How can I record only a sound effect and not my original voice?

Post by UI369 » Fri May 27, 2022 7:36 pm

I'm recording my voice on an Audio track with the "Wibble" sound effect.

When I play back the sound, I hear my own normal voice quite clearly, with the Wibble-effected voice underneath it.

How can I record only the wibble-effected voice without my normal voice coming through?

Thanks.

UI369

Re: How can I record only a sound effect and not my original voice?

Post by UI369 » Fri May 27, 2022 8:20 pm

I can chain effects like an equalizer that kinda cuts some of my vocal tone out... but seems I should be able to just capture only the output of the vocal effect without getting the original signal. Is that possible?

UI369

Post by UI369 » Fri May 27, 2022 8:39 pm

Is this a dumb question somehow? Do I have some fundamental misunderstanding that makes this more complicated than I think it is?

I would LOVE to be able to augment my voice and have JUST the augment come through for LIVE performance - but instead I can hear myself in perfect unfiltered agony coming through underneath everything I do. It just doesn't work for live performance.

UI369

Post by UI369 » Fri May 27, 2022 8:42 pm

Got it. Apparently turning the dry/wet knob all the way to wet takes my voice out of it.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri May 27, 2022 11:23 pm

I only just now saw this post but I wanted to chime in and say that how you went through this and discovered the solution is probably one of the most effective ways to learn to understand these concepts. Though, if I had seen it earlier I would have suggested that you do what you eventually discovered. But yeah. It’s how I learned, and how many others have learned. Really pushing to find answers.

Greenapples2019

Post by Greenapples2019 » Mon May 30, 2022 1:22 pm

One other way is to set things up like this:
Track 1: your raw vocal
Track 2: Set the input to be the output of Track 1, and then add whatever FX you want.

That way you can record them both separately, and/or mix the two tracks to get whatever balance of raw/FX you want. You could also use Xfade and mix between the two using a midi controller.