Live 11 Suite Crashing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
CVKBT

Live 11 Suite Crashing

Post by CVKBT » Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:38 pm

Hello folks,

Live 11 ALWAYS crashes when I'm cutting Podcasts lately. I never had problems with that, but since a few weeks, working on Podcasts became impossible. I even ordered a MacBook Pro, as I tried every performance optimization on my Windows computer.

Now that I have a fresh MacBook with the very same problem reappearing, this must be Ableton related.

No plugins are used. I even tried turning off Warp, but it doesn't work.

When I first load an audio clip of about 45 mins (not even .wav, just an .mp3), I can cut it without problems until I close Ableton. As soon as I reopen Ableton to continue working, it goes as follows: I can still replay the audio clip. But as soon as I'm doing a cut, Live crashes.

I never used to have problems with Ableton, but now it became unworkable.

Whatever it is, I hope the team fixes it soon.

I'll hop on Live 10 in the meanwhile.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Live 11 Suite Crashing

Post by [jur] » Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:05 pm

Live usually handles .mp3 without any problem, but maybe you should try using .wav/aiff instead...
Do your files have a "weird" sample rate and/or bit depth?
Why are you even using .mp3 for professional work anyway?
What's your audio interface? Can you try with another one?
Ableton Forum Moderator

CVKBT

Post by CVKBT » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:33 pm

[jur] wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:05 pm
Live usually handles .mp3 without any problem, but maybe you should try using .wav/aiff instead...
Do your files have a "weird" sample rate and/or bit depth?
Why are you even using .mp3 for professional work anyway?
What's your audio interface? Can you try with another one?
The sample rate is 48 kHz, the bit depth is 16-bit, mono. I synched my Ableton project/audio interface accordingly.

As the recordings are of pretty cheap quality, I figured that it wouldn't make a noticeable difference whether I'm using .wav or .mp3. However, I am open to criticism.

On my computer, I used the Scarlett 2i4, 2nd Gen.

When I cut the very same podcast on my MacBook, I used the Mac as a standalone. Unfortunately, I only have the Scarlett 2i4, thus can't try with another one.

And again, I never used to have problems. But since the last few weeks, Ableton is really giving me headaches, as I really can't tell what's going on here.

CVKBT

Post by CVKBT » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:26 pm

So I tried switching to .wav, and the same error occurs: I open up Ableton, drag & drop the .wav files, edit the podcast, close the application. Upon reopening Ableton, literally any edit makes Live crash (Ableton is not responding, basically freezing).

The only repeating pattern is that it crashes only after closing Ableton first. Still, no plugins are being used, and the bitrate, sampling rate, and so on are all matching.

Does anyone know whether any new updates will roll out sometime soon?

Thanks!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:11 am

I’d maybe try the latest beta. They have been working out some kinks with the latest update of Live that have been causing Live to have huge issues on apple computers with dropdown menus etc.

I don’t have automatic updates on and kinda didn’t update when that one came out and have lucked out. Personally, I do not know if it is the version of Live, the OS version, or a little of each (probably mostly Live though), but a lot of users have reported issues for the past month where it’s frustratingly un-usable.

CVKBT

Post by CVKBT » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:46 am

yur2die4 wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:11 am
I’d maybe try the latest beta. They have been working out some kinks with the latest update of Live that have been causing Live to have huge issues on apple computers with dropdown menus etc.

I don’t have automatic updates on and kinda didn’t update when that one came out and have lucked out. Personally, I do not know if it is the version of Live, the OS version, or a little of each (probably mostly Live though), but a lot of users have reported issues for the past month where it’s frustratingly un-usable.
Sweet, thanks for the info mate!

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:17 pm

yur2die4 wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:11 am

The hanging drop down menus bug was caused by the app Grammarly on MacOS. Closing it solved the problem. The bug is now fixed in Live 11.1.6.

@CVKTB: what version of Live were you using when you had the problem last week?

alyyeldin

Post by alyyeldin » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:55 pm

Hey, if someone else reading is still having this problem, the workaround is to import the file from Ableton itself, not by drag and drop

On the left, go to places > add folder > find the folder you have the file in > select folder,

then you should be able to look for your file as you do for normal samples