Second controller for transport

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ChristofR

Second controller for transport

Post by ChristofR » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:20 pm

Right, my setup : Ableton 11 Suite, on 27 iMac on a desk with a Launchkey 61 MK3 controller and Focusrite 4i4.
To the left of me, my trusty Kawai ES110 which I use for piano parts as it has a wonderful weighted keybed. So, in essence, a L-shaped setup.

The problem is, it's not very easy/practical to reach for the transport controls on the Launchkey whenever I want to play or start to record something on the Kawai.

So I was wondering if I could connect a second controller, something simple, just with basic transport controls. Was thinking of the Korg NanoKontrol2 but apparently, there are quite a lot of problems getting it to work in Ableton.

Then my eyes started to twinkle and my GAS syndrome kicked in : what if I bought myself a Launchpad X and put it on the edge of the desk right next to the Kawai. I'm sure I can make a custom template with transport controls. Would be overkill, I know, but it would look ace on my desk, plus it would give a new level of control in Ableton.

Also, should I be worried about conflicts between the Launchkey and either the NanoKontrol2 or the Launchpad X ?

Thanks !