Is it possible to make it so you don't have to select the top bar of a clip to delete/edit?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
shigglyboo

Is it possible to make it so you don't have to select the top bar of a clip to delete/edit?

Post by shigglyboo » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:31 pm

In older versions of Ableton you could highlight a portion of a clip and delete/duplicate/etc. and it was quick and easy.

Now you have to make sure you've got the top bar of the clip selected as well. It's a pain and slows me down. I don't know what they call this option. Is there any way to disable it?

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible to make it so you don't have to select the top bar of a clip to delete/edit?

Post by [jur] » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:23 pm

Nope, that's the way it is.
Ableton Forum Moderator

siliconarc

Re: Is it possible to make it so you don't have to select the top bar of a clip to delete/edit?

Post by siliconarc » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:42 pm

sounds like you're in automation mode. you can either turn it off (press 'a' - will then work as you expect) or you can press the 'up' arrow to select the main clip area.

shigglyboo

Post by shigglyboo » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:08 pm

Thanks @garyboozy, I had no idea!! It makes sense, I do a lot of automation and never really though to toggle it on and off. this is a game changer, as I like to do a lot of destructive editing in my songs for drum fills and random bits.