QUESTION: Computer Resources & Multiple Audio Inputs

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Elevated Cartographer

QUESTION: Computer Resources & Multiple Audio Inputs

Post by Elevated Cartographer » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:28 am

Hey there,

I am looking at upgrading to a 24 input audio interface and will be utilizing almost all of the ins for my synthesizers. My question is what sort of resource strain am I going to get if I am monitoring all 24 inputs at once, and how about recording? Is it feasible that I can play live with minimal latency while recording 24 separate inputs or is that crazy?

Tarekith

Re: QUESTION: Computer Resources & Multiple Audio Inputs

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:50 am

It will largely depend on the drivers for the sound card you buy in my experience. Cheaper soundcard drivers not that well optimized are going to give you more of a CPU hit.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:46 am

If you're computer is not 20 years old, it should be doable...
but you didn't give any detail about your setup.
Ableton Forum Moderator

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:49 am

If you use a Mac M1 with a Thunderbolt interface that is very fast, you surely do not encounter any problem....... On the other hand , like said above, an old PC or Mac might strugle to do the job with a lousy interface.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Elevated Cartographer

Post by Elevated Cartographer » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:28 pm

Gotcha, I'm looking at a presonus 24R rackmount mixer from their series 3 line. I'm ultimately hoping to run my Elektron synths through it and into Ableton for manipulation before sending everything back out to the synths for a final analog processing. Right now I'm using Elektron's overbridge plugin which introduces some significant latency so I'm hoping to swap out to a standard audio interface. The 24R also functions as an Ipad controlled mixer so I'm hoping that I can have the option of working inside or outside the box so to speak.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:09 pm

I’m currently running a comparable setup with 18 audio sources and Live acting as a live mixer and Midi sequencer for all the sources, without any issue. It’s fun !
I also gave up with Elektron Overbridge. It has way too much latency (and not the same as the sound card) and is not reliable unfortunately, so using it as a way to automate parameters only is not even an option.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1