Bouncing Stems Out With Sidechains

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
edeneye

Bouncing Stems Out With Sidechains

Post by edeneye » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:41 pm

Hey y'all, first-time poster, long-time user, and I'm kinda stumped.

I'm trying to bounce out my mix session that has various fairly complex groupings of tracks with tons of sidechaining of elements between groups.

What is the ideal way I bounce out these stems with the return effects printed on each group, as well as all the intergroup sidechaining printing as well for stem mastering?
  • If I solo the group and print, the sidechains don't print.

If I select all my stem groups and print selected tracks, the sidechains don't print.
Legends of these forums, please assist a homie. :oops:

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Bouncing Stems Out With Sidechains

Post by [jur] » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:05 am

edeneye wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:41 pm
If I select all my stem groups and print selected tracks, the sidechains don't print.[/list]
The sidechains are on the group tracks? If yes then that should work.
Ableton Forum Moderator

edeneye

Post by edeneye » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:57 am

Thanks for the reply.

Some sidechains are on the group tracks and others are on return tracks to other groups and others still are on one track SC'd to a track in another group.

Last i printed it, i did an A/B test vs a master export and it sounded different, like the sidechaining never happened on the individual group stems vs the stereo master print.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:20 am

Looks like your routing is quite complex. Try to find out which track isn't properly applying the SC.
Maybe look at the Returns first.
Ableton Forum Moderator

jcalvorquin

Post by jcalvorquin » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:03 pm

Hey guys!
Anybody managed to resolve this?

I have a client who asked for a MIX to be delivered with STEMS. However due to poor mixing and needs, they have asked to make certain elements less “masked”, which I managed to get it right using Neutron 3 “Masking” Module, and other dynamic EQ tools but sidechained between the STEMS.

Exporting individual tracks, selected tracks or just exporting them one by one doesn’t respect the side chains. The only possibility is routing the STEMS to Audio tracks and recording them in real-time, but several chains have oversampling and other CPU hungry VSTS, which create cracks, pops and silences.

I’m absolutely baffled that this is not a standard thing in Ableton since side chains and this kind of process is quite normal.

Any help would be highly appreciated.
Cheers!

knifington

Post by knifington » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:01 pm

Same problem here - using the Export > All individual tracks or Export > [specific track] seems to ignore any sidechaining between different tracks... so I get bass with no kick sidechain, sidechained gate effects not working etc etc - rendered stem files are useless basically. It is a mega admin job to individually record each track manually in real time and as mentioned by someone else you can create other messy artifacts doing it this way.... surely this should be built in to the export function? Am i missing something?