Mid is not the same as Mono?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Alchi_

Mid is not the same as Mono?

Post by Alchi_ » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:05 pm

I have a hardware synth (vermona perfourmer) with a Pan knob, where I can pan the sound hard left or hard right. I would like to use it in such a way that I when I pan the sound, the signal will go through an FX bus. When the signal is panned in the middle, it will not have any effects. That way I can use the hardware buttons in an extended way to change the sound in a live performance.

Using Utility I can split the signal into mids and sides only in m/s mode. But what happens when i hardpan the sound left, it still shows up in the mid channel, on a slightly lower volume. That should not be the case right? If i split a stereo signal into a mid's only and a sides only signal path, The sides become the sounds that are the differences between left and right, and the mid channel the sum of the sounds that are equal. Thats how I understand Mid/Side, correct?

By this definition it is different from just summing all the sounds in mono. If I only want MID, There should not be any sound when I pan it hard left. How to I achieve this?

x alchi

Tarekith

Re: Mid is not the same as Mono?

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:28 pm

Mid isn’t the sum of left and right, but what part of the signal is the same in the left and right channels.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Alchi_

Post by Alchi_ » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:25 pm

Yeah, I know that, as I said in my question. But maybe I did not phrase it right.

If i split my signal: two chains in a group. both with a utility deivce set to M/S mode. One of them is 100% mids, the other 100% sides.
If I pan my sound in the middle, the sound comes only through the mid channel. If i hardpan it either left or right, it comes through on the side channel, but it also still comes through the mid channel (but like 6 db's lower), even though by this definition it shouldn't. Am I missing something?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:00 pm

Is the synth output 100% mono??

Redwardmc

Post by Redwardmc » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:06 pm

Mid side is confusing, mid means the left and right added together, it's not actually mono or the center channel as people often think. Side channel is anything out of phase when the channels get added together.

If you pan a track %100 left, and switch to mid/side, it will just appear in the mid channel. Because there's nothing on the right channel to cancel it out.

https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/8-comm ... ixing.html