MIDI notes don't stop playing if I hit stop while note is playing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
j_binks

MIDI notes don't stop playing if I hit stop while note is playing

Post by j_binks » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:47 pm

Hello,

As I said in the title, if I stop playback in the middle of a MIDI note, the note(s) just keeps playing forever, until I press play again and let the note end naturally. This really becomes a problem the more MIDI tracks I have going. For example, if I want to hear a specific part of the song, with long held MIDI notes, and then scrub to a different part of the song, those old MIDI notes are still playing, unless those same MIDI notes are triggered again (either by a duplicate clip or by me playing the notes on a MIDI keyboard.)

I've done some digging, and found other folks with similar sounding problems (spanning many years/versions of Ableton,) but haven't been able to find a solution. I've read that it might be something to do with "note off" information not sending automatically when you hit stop, but how could this still be a problem in Ableton 11? I must be doing something wrong, right?

I'm running the most up-to-date version of Ableton Live 11 on MacOS. The problem doesn't seem to occur in Logic. I should also mention that this doesn't seem to occur with stock Ableton instruments, but it happens with ALL 3rd party plugins (currently using Arturia, Spitfire LABS, Sublab, Serum, Serato Sample.) Has anyone with this issue managed to figure this out?

Thanks so much for reading this!

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: MIDI notes don't stop playing if I hit stop while note is playing

Post by [jur] » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:33 pm

Sustain pedal (CC64) automations?
Ableton Forum Moderator

j_binks

Re: MIDI notes don't stop playing if I hit stop while note is playing

Post by j_binks » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:36 pm

[jur] wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:33 pm
Sustain pedal (CC64) automations?
Hey thanks for the reply! Someone on reddit also mentioned this. It happens reliably in a brand new session with no automation anywhere. But I've also double checked in my other sessions and sustain automation is definitely off in all cases where I'm having this problem.