name specific function midi-controller?

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
supahgrass

name specific function midi-controller?

Post by supahgrass » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:54 pm

Hello

Does this specific function exist, and what is its name?

When launching one midi-clip after another where the same parameter has completely different midi cc values, the encoder/pot of the midi-controller immediately receives the same parameter value as in the midi-clip, so that when moving from the midi-controller to the left or right (-1 or +1) this parameter in Ableton directly decreases or increases by -1 or +1, thus not having an effect similar to 'value-scaling' or 'pickup'?

I thought I once heard that this function exists under the name 'data feedback'?

Anyone have an idea which midi-controllers, preferably with many endless encoders, have this function?

Greetings & thanks a lot!!

yur2die4

Re: name specific function midi-controller?

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:06 am

It is absolute vs relative control.

In absolute, the position of an encoder is what it is and that is then reflected in whatever it is modulating. If you have it at full blast, likely turned all the way clockwise, then that’s just where it is. That’s the absolute value.

With relative, the control adds or subtracts relative to whatever it is controlling. Usually with these types of encoders, the rotation is infinite. Otherwise you’d have trouble when it hits the top, clockwise-most position. So instead, there’s no end. But usually this is remedied to a degree where feedback is sent to the controller to tell you what the value is. Examples being the APC having illuminated LEDs around it to show the value, and the Novation Remote and Ableton Push having screen displays showing the updated values of controls.

supahgrass

Post by supahgrass » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:33 pm

OK thanks!

And does it often happen that midi controllers have this function in combination with the function 'sensitivity / high resolution / acceleration /...', so with endless encoders you can make big jumps to the left or right from that relative position? Because with my endless encoders, it's forever turning left or right...

I know the dj techtools midi fighter twister have both functions. Are there also others? Such as the Behringer BCR2000?

supahgrass

Post by supahgrass » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:36 pm

Anybody? :p

murcalumis

Post by murcalumis » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:02 pm

visual cues maybe?...endless usually don't have a line on the knobs. There might be one or two Options.txt commands to modify encoder behavior. Sonic Bloom had a post or video somewhere about this possibility. I just got a mf twister.