How do I use a VST in a live streaming session.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Running Cat

How do I use a VST in a live streaming session.

Post by Running Cat » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:41 pm

Hello

I would like to use a 3rd party VST in a live streaming session, the Relab480 LX and Red 2 & 3, I am using input from a instrument mike on my Fiddle to input 1 on a Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen, all is well.
It is only after recording I can use the VST's.

So track 1 is armed for recording, input to track 1 good, but there is no input to the VST's on track 1, so I can not use them for live streaming, only after recording.

I have looked for an answer but hours of searching has not helped, so any help, much appreciated.

Using Ableton Live Lite 11 on a Windows 10 PC.

Mark

yur2die4

Re: How do I use a VST in a live streaming session.

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:24 pm

What kind of setup are you using to stream? Is the audio interface going out into another audio device that streams?

Anyway, my best guess is that this has to do with Monitoring settings, especially on the focusrite. By default, it usually is set mixed to the original input source. This gives you minimal latency, but you don’t get to hear any of the resulting Through audio after it’s processed. To change this, you’d probably have to use the software and change that. But in Live also, you need to make sure you have the appropriate monitor settings so that your channel is listening but also sending out the processed audio.

Running Cat

Re: How do I use a VST in a live streaming session.

Post by Running Cat » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:18 am

Thank you for your reply.

I am using Reastream on the master channel to send the signal to OBS which is using Reastream to input it, that all works fine, even if I am playing live, but can only use VSTs after I have actually made a recording in Ableton.
I would love to be able to use the VSTs live, so if I were performing to people, I can use reverb, equaliser etc as I am playing, so not always making a video, sometimes just performing live to people.

What you have said is making sense, but I am new to Scarlett, Ableton and other DAWS, so it is a massive learning curve for me.

Mark