Please excuse my ignorance (New to Abelton)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sawknee

Please excuse my ignorance (New to Abelton)

Post by sawknee » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:10 pm

So I believe this may be a fairly simple question for those with more experience with Abelton however it is quite frustrating for a newbie like me. I am attempting to save project files into my cloud drive ( on Mac) so that I can organize/ store my project files( with all the necessary components ie samples, consolidated and non, etc). I would like to be able to easily transfer a project file from my laptop to my main computer for mixing and mastering.

These are the problems I have encountered..
1. I can not airdrop the project from computer to computer, when doing so not all of the files (samples and such) are transferred.
2. When creating a file in my cloud specifically for projects I can not open the entire project with all the files (samples and such) it only open a bare bones of the project similar to #1's problem.

I understand that understanding abeltons file management is key to solving these issues so I have tried several solutions like consolidate/ save all then transfer the projects but to no avail. I must be missing something very simple with the routing because I can't crack this simple task.

please help me lol

chapelier fou

Re: Please excuse my ignorance (New to Abelton)

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:42 pm

Files / Collect and Save
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

sawknee

Post by sawknee » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:17 pm

Okay please further explain.

Do I need to create a file specifically for Collect and Save in my project's folder every time I want to transfer a project to a different computer?

Or is there an existing file titled Collect and Save somewhere in my Mac? That I then can share to another computer? Does Abelton save it automatically to my cloud drive to be able to be pulled up on my other computer? If this is the case what is the specific routing to get to this file, because simply typing "Files / Collect and Save" does not come up with anything in finder.

Thank you for your help.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:24 pm

sawknee wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:10 pm
I understand that understanding abeltons file management is key to solving these issues so I have tried several solutions like consolidate/ save all then transfer the projects but to no avail.
I'm not saying this in a sarcastic way, but there's a solution that you didn't try (or forgot to mention) which is reading the manual.
A DAW is basically a file manager, so you really need to spend an hour studying how Live manage files, the Set (and User Library) folders' structure, and understand what you can move some files or not etc...
It's a very boring topic I know, and it's also a lot work to explain so have a look at the manual, it'll help you tremendously.
Not so long ago someone made a quite deep video about the topic, I know I saved the link somewhere just because this question always pop up on the forum... let me find where I saved this link :wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:28 pm

You know what, I'm not feeling like searching for this link, but just doing a quick search on YT will get you there...
Ableton Forum Moderator

sawknee

Post by sawknee » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:46 pm

Even if you are being sarcastic I appreciate your blunt and honest reply.

Now that you mention it I should read the manual, however didn’t know one existed until just now with your mention of it. I saw the quick start tips and tricks and the “what’s new in live 11” that went with the actual daw and read those. But never thought to see if there was an actual manual, silly I know.

Also appreciate the link, although it might not be the exact video..some popped up that should help. I searched YouTube but your phrasing in the search was superior and yielded better results.

Thank you for your help.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:49 pm

You're welcome (and, really, I wasn't sarcastic. English isn't my main language, so I'm not always aware of what could be understood in-between the lines I write)
Ableton Forum Moderator

evon

Post by evon » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:09 am

Aha :D
Long long ago, you would get a lot of replies to RTFM.
You should also spend some of your free time my friend just looking at some of the earlier posts. Say from about year 2010 or even earlier.
You could also do searches for your queries. Would be surprised to see how much quicker you will get to know Live. One search may lead to others.
Live is the best.
fe real!

cids

Post by cids » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:25 pm

You can save your projects directly into a folder in iCloud, make sure you use collect all/save. This way on any other computer associated with the same iCloud account you can open and edit your Ableton project, always make sure that all the samples are downloaded from iCloud before opening a project as otherwise you'll get a warning that media can't be found.

Hope this makes sense, additional info:

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... 66d1e50da7
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2