How to NOT report latency of a plugin to Live ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Calagan

How to NOT report latency of a plugin to Live ?

Post by Calagan » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:26 pm

It's quite a technical question, and I'm almost sure there's no solution.

My goal is to find a way not to report the latency of a specific plugin to Live.

It'll be more clear if I explain the context : I'm using Live on stage, and latency is of course a big issue I always need to take care of.

But what if I want to use, let's say Little Alter Boy from Soundtoys ? This plugins adds 50ms of latency. Ok, let's say I don't care about the latency for the specific task I want to use the plugin (some sound design noise where precision is not an issue).
My problem is that it adds 50ms of latency to my whole set and because of only one plugin my whole set becomes unplayable !!!!

Sometimes I even want to get rid of 5ms of latency of a plugin, because I don't care if the thing I play with this plugin applied on it is not aligned with the rest, and I can accept the latency for this specific part, but on other parts I can't manage 5ms of added latency...
So, what can I do if I want to keep latency compensation because I need to have things in sync (for exemple different arpeggiators running together), but I don't want the latency of this specific plugin to be reported to Live ?

Is the only way not to use latency compensation when playing live, and live with the issues it brings ?
Maybe it's not so much of an issue, but in very rare cases I noticed that I could have sync problems when using arpeggiators...

I know Metaplugin (that I own) is supposed to be able to set the latency you want to what you feed it, but it doesn't work (or at least I don't understand how to make it work).
It could be great to have the option in Live to bypass for each plugin the latency report...