Glide issue in Wavetable - anyone know of a workaround?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jonathan Hall

Glide issue in Wavetable - anyone know of a workaround?

Post by Jonathan Hall » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:39 pm

Hello all,

The video below shows how to recreate a Moog Sub37 lead patch on Ableton's Wavetable. It sounds incredibly close to the Moog and it is very inspiring to hear Ableton's built-in plugins holding their own.

The one thing that couldn't be duplicated on Wavetable is the appropriate glide - it gets interrupted by the envelope. I understand how to remedy this by editing and automating the MIDI notes after they are already in a clip, but is there a way to fix this so the glide works when playing Wavetable in real time in a live-performance setting?

The issue is found at 10:12 in the video: https://youtu.be/cohKkfUfALY?t=603

Thanks for any help folks can provide here. I will be happy to forward the solution, if there is one, to All You Need is Live.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Glide issue in Wavetable - anyone know of a workaround?

Post by [jur] » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:21 am

Basically, you want a glide effect without the effect of legato on the note's envelope, is that right?
If yes, then you could probably workaround this with a pitch envelope I think.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Jonathan Hall

Post by Jonathan Hall » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:44 pm

Thanks @[jur]. I tried messing around with the Matrix in Wavetable last night and to be honest, I am not sure I know what I'm doing regarding pitch envelopes. Operator can do this in a variety of ways, but Wavetable not so much. Looking at earlier threads, there was a similar query regarding envelopes that @pottering responded to: viewtopic.php?p=1792919#p1792934

If either of you have a second to provide a short step-by-step process on how you would use pitch envelopes to emulate non-legato glide in Wavetable, I would be very grateful. I assume it can be done only in Poly mode and not Mono - from the manual:
The Poly/Mono toggle switches the instrument between a single voice with legato envelopes(Mono) and a polyphonic instrument (Poly).
Thanks in advance for any insights you can provide.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:08 pm

Here's a crappy workaround using 2x devices before Wavetable (mono mode):

1. Note Length – set it to Length 60.0s
2. Envelope MIDI – map to Wavetable's main volume, use its env instead of Wavetable's Amp Env.

You'll now get glide without overlapping notes but you lose the use of the other envs too (they don't 'hear' the note-ons) so you'll have to add additional Envelope MIDI devices instead.

Jonathan Hall

Post by Jonathan Hall » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:40 pm

Thank you so much for your help @garyboozy. I tried your workaround and it definitely got me closer than before. I've mapped one envelope to volume and another other to the Filter 1 frequency. I can now hear the glide perfectily.

Here's a short video comparing the original Wavetable patch and the workaround:
https://youtu.be/ZS99t9Pncck

The issue now is that I can't figure out how to drive the synth without using the Wavetable Amp envelope. If I keep it the way it was, there is no sound. When I push the Sustain back up in the Wavetable Amplitude envelope, the volume increases, but it also changes the sound. The original Amp envelope with low sustain has a much smoother sound. Getting there slowly but surely...

Appreciate the workaround.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:56 pm

Beneath Envelope MIDI's A/D/R settings you'll see 0% - that's for the env's curves.
Try something like 40-50% for the Decay, should get you nearer.