Video hangs for couple seconds before playing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
khaos

Video hangs for couple seconds before playing

Post by khaos » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:39 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to do a sound design project in Ableton with a video animation. I've tried numerous videos and the issue apparently seems to be with Ableton.
Whenever I hit play it seems as if the video hangs and is being fetched from memory for ~2-5 seconds before continuing to play flawlessly thereafter.

- Everything is up to date
- No plugins loaded
- I've edited video/audio in Ableton before flawlessly
- Well spec'ed PC that was able to handle ridiculously long chains of VST effects in Ableton video/audio editing before

Any ideas?

Mark Williams

Re: Video hangs for couple seconds before playing

Post by Mark Williams » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:56 pm

You dont really tell us anything to enable anyone to even guess.....

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=242485
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

khaos

Post by khaos » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:11 pm

In all honesty this was a shot of faith hoping someone would know about a known and documented issue, judging by your response this isn't the case so I'll provide some additional info.
Please be ware that hardware-wise nothing was upgraded since the last time video worked flawlessly. Including audio interface, mouse, keyboard, hardware inside the machine, etc.

The only software that was updated were Live, Windows (which has remained on Windows 10, although a newer patch), and graphics card drivers.
CPU: Intel i7 7700K @ 4.2 GHz
GPU: Radeon RX 590
RAM: 32 GB DDR4
Audio Interface: Steinberg UR22 | Drivers up to date and these drivers are used in Live, not some other ASIO drivers (note: audio continues flawlessly, this seems to be a video issue)

Live: Suite 11.1.6
- Build: 2022-06-13_8a839636b3

Whenever I hit play with any video I have (Downloaded from YouTube and also videos downloaded from other sources) the video seems to play fine, however whenever I start to scrub through the video in the Live timeline suddenly the video hangs on the last known frame for roughly 2-5 seconds and then continues playing. Audio continues fine, it's as if the video is having trouble being fetched from disk or memory. I have tried both with Live in Admin mode and without, both yielding same results.

khaos

Post by khaos » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:56 pm

I just tried the same video in Reaper and it works flawlessly.
I also forgot to mention I installed the HAALI codec.

khaos

Post by khaos » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:03 pm

Bump

agamben

Post by agamben » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:16 am

Live simply doesn't work with video - at least not on Windows - and unfortunately things get worse with each update.
Hope Ableton are hearing us...