Live Performance Without Computer, Simple Audio Sampler

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
EmilS

Live Performance Without Computer, Simple Audio Sampler

Post by EmilS » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:24 am

Dear Ableton Community,

Probably there are already questions about this out there but I am kind of stuck right now with what to search for.
We are a live Band that heavily depends on Ableton Live in our performances. We have a Bass, Singing and live synth, but all beats and sounds come from ableton session view, with an old APC40 which works great so far. As we perform produced tracks, all our tracks we are launching from ableton are audio tracks.

What we are looking for now is for our live performances to replace the MacBook with an easy to use audio sampler where we can launch the clips we normally launch in ableton via the APC and have a few effects on the master track. It doesn’t need to be anything fancy, as we are playing most things live. It should have at least 8 different audio tracks…

Does something like this exist in decent quality?
I think about an APC or a Launchpad with samples you can load in and “launch” them as if you would use the session view in ableton…

Thank you for your advise !

Emil

chapelier fou

Re: Live Performance Without Computer, Simple Audio Sampler

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:16 am

Octatrack ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:26 pm

Akai Force, right there for you......

Ableton in hardware so to say, been looking at it too, instead of replacing my music PC.......

https://www.akaipro.com/force-forcexus
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

EmilS

Post by EmilS » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:32 pm

Thank you for the answers! Really appreciate it!
I saw both devices and thought they are a bit oversized for our purpose. We won’t use them for production or sound design - so a classic sampler with tons of features or a independent production unit is not needed… basically we need some kind of “clip launcher”. But if there is no simpler and cheaper device, I guess we must go with a used akai force.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:22 am

You never know where it comes in handy, so buying a second hand Force is a good step. Good luck and have fun!!!! :D
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:27 pm

An iPad and Loopy Pro would be another option, you can basically create your own layout in that app and have all your samples arranged like Live’s session view.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:10 pm

I was trying to think of a good iOS option, as that’s a decent balance and there are many things out there, but could think of any off hand.

But Tarekith’s suggestion was one of forgotten about, despite it being kind of a big deal. Loopy Pro has a lot of flexibility in layout and connectivity support.

The developer is active. And the payment method for it is definitely fair. You get the version you buy that moment, and it gets standard support for bugs etc. If there are new features added in a future version, you can just buy pay for the upgrade, sort of disguised as a non-committed subscription. If you’re not a subscriber, none of your current functionality is lost at all. The trick is to not ‘want’ the spicy new features 😅

But yeah. Loopy Pro is basically the sum of what you’re asking for. Just depends on if you have an iPad, and if the iPad has headphone out. And if you want to connect hardware which can add a few extra quirks to the setup.

DunedinDragon

Post by DunedinDragon » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:00 pm

The only limitation you might run into is if you decide you want to do any type of stage performance automation with lights or effects and stuff. That's one of the key reasons bands tend to use Ableton with a MIDI controller so the music and stage production can easily be synchronized. You just select the song and press start and everything else is done for you and you can simply concentrate on the performance. It's actually quite liberating.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:10 am

DunedinDragon wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:00 pm
The only limitation you might run into is if you decide you want to do any type of stage performance automation with lights or effects and stuff. That's one of the key reasons bands tend to use Ableton with a MIDI controller so the music and stage production can easily be synchronized. You just select the song and press start and everything else is done for you and you can simply concentrate on the performance. It's actually quite liberating.
Hence my suggestion for the Akai Force - does that too easely in a compact way, and super reliable!
Greetings from Miyaru.