m-vave (cuvave) chocolate midi pedal with ableton looper issue.

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
KuzmaKuznetsov

m-vave (cuvave) chocolate midi pedal with ableton looper issue.

Post by KuzmaKuznetsov » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:36 pm

Hi there!

Recently, I've received the m-vave chocolate pedal:
http://www.cuvave.com/productinfo/724103.html

I'd like to set up it for full usage with live looper functionality:

So I would like to set up this pedal for rec, overdub, delete and undo with each pedal button.

This pedal has 5 modes inside the Advanced custom mode section that I've tested to work with live looper with varied success:

1) Single step (single bank information)
By this mode assignment, I have broken looper overdub feature that switch to play mode as it want (as people mentioned on other tread)
I've also checked the midi mapping option menu that find in some topics on the forum about live looper overdub issues and tested all options without positive result.

2) Single step (switch between two banks)
Not useful for the looper

3) Press down-release
In this mode, I could set up A bank command to 127 value with similar command to B bank with 0 value. In this case I could have working overdub mode, I couldn't delete by two pushes (only stop), undo works only if I decide to undo during the overdub process, otherwise when I hold the pedal looper switch to overdub, so undo is no more impossible, So in this case I can't delete and can't correctly undo.

4) Long step.
Not useful for the looper

5) Step short or step long
This mode is very interesting because here we have two midi assignment possibilities on one pedal
But step short also brings looper overdub bugs without any chances to set up with midi command options menu on the bottom of the program screen.

As a result, I see only one last idea on how to set up this pedal for full the looper functionality.
It seems I have to program the one pedal button to send both of 0 and 127 value command simultaneously.
Folks on this forum also recommend changing the polarity of the pedal as variant, but unfortunately I haven't such functionality here.

This pedal software allows typing the Custom midi code, but I couldn't understand in which format I have to type it (you could see this menu picture attachment below:

The documentation of this device is very poor and manufacturer still didn't answer me about this mode, so I'm seeking of our amazing community support)

Could you advise please some variants on how people usually code such both of 0 and 127 value commands as midi code?
I've noticed that on the Cuvave software custom midi code window, I could type only numbers and b,c,d,f letters and 12 max symbol count.
I've tried to research this topic about the midi but still have no idea how to code the midi messages on Cuvave software.
https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~music/cmsip/rea ... mmers.html

Thanks in advance & have a nice music flow!
Last edited by KuzmaKuznetsov on Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

yur2die4

Re: m-vave (cuvave) chocolate midi pedal with ableton looper issue.

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:59 pm

Have you tried using midi Notes instead of CC?

KuzmaKuznetsov

Post by KuzmaKuznetsov » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:36 am

Hi! Thanks for your thoughts!
Sure. I've tried the note on/off mode in various combinations, but it also makes random looper overdub switching to the play looper mode.

allanfelipe

Post by allanfelipe » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:41 am

I've just bought the Chocolate pedal and was in the same page as the OP. Let me just add some thoughts, since it's hard to find information about this issue online (most people get the device to change guitar plugin/pedal presets).

Initially I was having trouble trying just to make the bluetooth work, until I found out that you need to connect the usb dongle .... the device doesn't work by itself, but ok .. I'm glad I ordered it too ... for other reasons, but anyway ... Then you go to Live's Preferences and there it is ... "USB-Midi" ready to be turned on.

When you open the configuration software (CubeSuite), the best mode to send midi information is Advanced Custom Mode -> "Step short or step long". In this mode, each footswitch accepts 2 commands, one for a short step and one if you keep it pressed for a couple of seconds. Now it works fine with note-on and also midi CC. I ended up sticking with CC. I found out some CC numbers that are not used in my other controller and are not used in plugins (usually if you use the ones marked as "undefined" here there won't be any conflict: https://nickfever.com/music/midi-cc-list )

Then I got the bug in the big button. Actually I reencountered it, because all my controllers have some kind of issue when I try to map something to the big button. It's simply not usable with external midi commands. However I noticed that any other button is fine, so the solution is to map the individual buttons: Overwrite / Play / Stop / Undo, for example. I guess these would be the 4 most important to be easily accessible with a short press. Now, if OP was having trouble even with these buttons, then I don't know what it might be, because I just have problems with the big button, since always.

Everybody's Least Favorite Character

Post by Everybody's Least Favorite Character » Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:35 pm

Did anyone ever get this working? I find myself in the same situation