Going Live with Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rbro

Going Live with Live

Post by rbro » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:06 pm

I've been doing weekly Livestream performances of my music on Youtube, FB and Twitch along with visuals that I can work in real time using this software called Synesthesia https://synesthesia.live. Now I'd like to take it Live Live which is something I've never done. I've got my Macbook Pro, My Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, an extra monitor, a Push and an APC 40. I'm wondering if anyone else here outputs video and audio from their Macbook for a live performance and what are you using for a video source? A projector or a large monitor or do you find a lot of clubs can just take the video out from your laptop? Here are my machine specs:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)
1.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 645 1536 MB

Thanks in advance for your help

Tarekith

Re: Going Live with Live

Post by Tarekith » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:19 am

Paging Paddy!

This is right up his alley.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=722
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

DunedinDragon

Post by DunedinDragon » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:15 pm

It's pretty straightforward and we do it all the time. We use Webcast on the Mac and feed the audio signal out from our mixing board Monitor Out into a simple M-Audio DUO which is connected via USB to the Mac for all audio channels. We have a separate video feed that comes in from a FaMaKo PTZ camera via HDMI (video only) which allows us to pan and zoom across the stage or the audience. WebCast handles all the inputs and streaming. We also have a video projector connected to the Mac via HDMI so we can simultaneously stream video and project the Webcast stream in house.

rbro

Post by rbro » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:17 pm

DunedinDragon wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:15 pm
It's pretty straightforward and we do it all the time. We use Webcast on the Mac and feed the audio signal out from our mixing board Monitor Out into a simple M-Audio DUO which is connected via USB to the Mac for all audio channels. We have a separate video feed that comes in from a FaMaKo PTZ camera via HDMI (video only) which allows us to pan and zoom across the stage or the audience. WebCast handles all the inputs and streaming. We also have a video projector connected to the Mac via HDMI so we can simultaneously stream video and project the Webcast stream in house.
Thanks for the info. I've been using Ecamm for the Mac for my online Livestreams which looks similar to Webcast. I don't own a mixing board, but I assume any club can grab the audio from my Focusrite and video via HDMI connected to my Macbook. I feel like I'll need my extra video monitor so I can see what I'm doing.

DunedinDragon

Post by DunedinDragon » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:06 pm

rbro wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:17 pm

Thanks for the info. I've been using Ecamm for the Mac for my online Livestreams which looks similar to Webcast. I don't own a mixing board, but I assume any club can grab the audio from my Focusrite and video via HDMI connected to my Macbook. I feel like I'll need my extra video monitor so I can see what I'm doing.
I'm not sure you can always count on a mixing board as that really depends on the job and the club. Parties or private raves most likely won't, and even some clubs expect you to bring your own PA. If they do have a PA you'll likely need a second audio interface if you have your Focusrite dedicated to your playback monitors. Typically you need to send your output from the Mac via USB to the interface to convert it to two individual analog outputs (either 1/4" or XLR) for the PA channel inputs. In our case we use that same audio interface to also take in the analog audio output from the mixer and convert it to digital input for the stream because we want to capture what's being said on the mic through the PA along with the music being played as a single mixed audio stream.

Honestly if you're going to do this as a business I'd recommend you have your own mixer and PA so you can setup and test it and know how to manage your whole show including the streaming side. That's part of what people are paying you for typically in my experience.