Send MIDI when clip ends

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
1002MDO

Send MIDI when clip ends

Post by 1002MDO » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:15 am

Hey there,

I would like to send some sort of MIDI signal - doesn't matter if it's a MIDI CC or Note On/Off message - to an external MIDI device when an audio clip ends/ shortly after it ended.

I am using Ableton to launch [approx. 200] audio clips (Session View) with a launch pad and want the external device to "know" when a clip ended/ ends.

My first idea was to use a "Follow Action" to jump from any audio clip to a MIDI clip which sends a Note On/ Off signal, but - from my understanding of the "jump"-Follow Action - it is not possible to jump to a clip in a diffrent track, and MIDI and audio clips can't be on the same track.

I'd appreciate your ideas/ thoughts or solutions.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by 1002MDO on Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DunedinDragon

Re: Send MIDI when clip ends

Post by DunedinDragon » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:21 pm

Why not just have a separate MIDI output track that runs simultaneously with the Audio track that has a MIDI signal timed at the appropriate point with the audio track?

1002MDO

Post by 1002MDO » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:33 pm

Thank you for sharing your solution, all in all it is a good one.
The thing is, that I have approximately 200 audio clips of which some might be shortened or lengthened, so creating, timing and changing all the MIDI events is quite time consuming.
This is probably how I have to and going to do it, unless someone shares a "better" solution.

dsu

Post by dsu » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:00 pm

I'm no expert, very much a Max for Live Noob. A quick google search found this link which suggest it might be possible to have a Live object that can detect when a clip has stopped playing which would trigger the MIDI message you want to send. There is a example device as part of the thread.

https://cycling74.com/forums/how-can-i- ... ed-playing

1002MDO

Post by 1002MDO » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:28 pm

Thank you for sharing your findings. I haven't yet dealt with Max for Live in detail, but from what I can tell so far, it can do exactly what I was looking for.