Remap Resume Function

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
babapuppy

Remap Resume Function

Post by babapuppy » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:27 am

Hello!

I was wondering if there's any way to keymap the resume function and/or create custom keybinds for hotkeys within Ableton.

I'm helping a someone set up a show using a Bluetooth page-turner (keyboard with 2 keys). They do not have access to M4L. The page-turner is not reprogrammable, but is compatible with keymapping. The goal is to just press one button on the page-turner and have it pause and unpause in the same location.
Ideally would like a solution that doesn't require additional software, but all ideas are sincerely welcome.

Thank you kindly!

babapuppy

Clarification

Post by babapuppy » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:24 pm

I'll post a follow-up clarification in case my explanation wasn't clear.

I need to use the resume function (Shift+Space) which can both pause playback and resume from the same location. Since this is not a visible button in the UI, I don't know how or if it's possible to keymap anything to it. This project cannot use Max for Live.
The simplest potential solutions I can think of are to find a way to keymap to it, or to alter the hotkey command within Ableton to make it work for the page-turner. I would like to know if either are possible, and if so, how to do it. However, all ideas are still welcome.

(If they are not possible, I would like to recommend them as features for future versions of Live!)

Thanks again.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Remap Resume Function

Post by [jur] » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:27 am

Since M4L isn't an option, then here's where to look at to trigger this with midi:

- user remote script (but I'm not 100% sure the "resume playback" is available in here)

- Mackie Control emulation: you select the Mackie Control in Live's Control Surfaces Preferences, and then you program your midi controller to send the CC value that the Mackie Control thing uses to "resume playback". Once again I'm not 100% sure it has this control implemented but I'd be surprise if it didn't. I have the mackie control for Live midi chart on another computer, I'll check tomorrow and keep you posted.

- there's a free remote script that probably does this but I forgot its name (it'll hopefully get back into my brain soon)
Ableton Forum Moderator

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:29 am

[jur] wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:27 am
- user remote script (but I'm not 100% sure the "resume playback" is available in here)
I just checked and unfortunately it's not possible here.
Ableton Forum Moderator

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:19 pm

[jur] wrote:
- Mackie Control emulation: you select the Mackie Control in Live's Control Surfaces Preferences, and then you program your midi controller to send the CC value that the Mackie Control thing uses to "resume playback". Once again I'm not 100% sure it has this control implemented but I'd be surprise if it didn't. I have the mackie control for Live midi chart on another computer, I'll check tomorrow and keep you posted.
So, the mackie control implementation in Live doesn't have the "resume playback" option... but:
play = CC94
and Shift = CC70
So you might be able to trick Live by setting up your controller to send a block of CCs when you press e.g a button, probably in this order:
CC70 value of 127, then CC94 value of 127, then CC94 value 0 and then CC70 value 0
The thing is, your controller is probably not able to send a block of multiple CCs (some do, so you need to check its midi implementation), and so you would need an external midi app between your controller and Live.

[jur] wrote:
- there's a free remote script that probably does this but I forgot its name (it'll hopefully get back into my brain soon)
Sounds like it's the best option but I still can't remember its name.
Ableton Forum Moderator

pottering

Post by pottering » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:06 pm

I think OP has a hardware that sends computer keys like PgUp/PgDn and arrow keys, meant to browse pages in stuff like PDFs of sheet music.

The hardware should have customization software (like many mouses) to set "shift+space" to one key (or maybe shift to one and space to the other so you have flexibility). Otherwise OP will need some keyboard mapping software, like AutoHotkey or similar.
♥♥♥

babapuppy

[Solved] [Not really]

Post by babapuppy » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:43 pm

By some gift of the gods it turns out that my client actually has a newer page-turner model that supports custom keybinds, so Shift+Space has been achieved.
These are interesting solutions, I'll definitely be looking into them-- the problem still needs solving in my heart.
Thank you much!

randi

Post by randi » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:17 pm

it is possible via a remote script. I do this on my Mackie C4 with

Code: Select all

self.song().continue_playing()
link to code on GH https://github.com/markusschloesser/Mac ... er.py#L822