Audio Gain and Whitenoise problem

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
jacksonbogardus

Audio Gain and Whitenoise problem

Post by jacksonbogardus » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:45 pm

Hi guys! I have the Volt 1 Audio Interface, and I have the RODE Podmic connected to it. Everytime I want to record, I have to turn the audio gain up super high to be able to hear my voice, but then I get a lot of whtienoise and that wish wash sound in the back of the recording. Where can I eliminate this? Do I just edit it out? How do I do that, through an equalizer, and how do I use that? Thank you!

fishmonkey

Re: Audio Gain and Whitenoise problem

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:53 am

the RODE Podmic has similar specs to the classic Shure SM7B — both are relatively insensitive dynamic mics that require a mic preamp with a a chunky amount of gain if you are recording quieter signals.

many smaller/cheaper audio interfaces don't have a lot of mic preamp gain, and your audio interface might not be quite up to the task.

short of trying another audio interface, a common solution is to use a mic gain booster (these are often used with less sensitive dynamic or ribbon microphones):

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search ... zY2MSJdfX0

jacksonbogardus

Post by jacksonbogardus » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:11 pm

Alright, what is another audio interface that is nice enough to give me enough preamp sound to have the best sound quality? Thank you for your help! Is the scarlett solo a good choice?

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:54 pm

jacksonbogardus wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:11 pm
Alright, what is another audio interface that is nice enough to give me enough preamp sound to have the best sound quality? Thank you for your help! Is the scarlett solo a good choice?
i don't think the Scarlett Solo will make any difference. very similar interface with similar input gain to your current interface. personally i would get a mic gain booster and keep your current interface.