customisable loop lengths

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
incleficker

customisable loop lengths

Post by incleficker » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:50 pm

Hello

I have this loop project where all loop durations are prime numbers in length (#of beats or bars).

I'm live looping with solo guitar and i need to preset a fixed length. I don't care if this is measured in bars or seconds, whether i can use the ableton click or add an audiotrack for reference, either way i will need to specify FE a repetition after every 43 beats.

Anyone has an idea how to do this?

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: customisable loop lengths

Post by [jur] » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:32 am

Do you have M4L?

incleficker wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:50 pm
either way i will need to specify FE a repetition after every 43 beats.
What does "FE" means?
Ableton Forum Moderator

incleficker

Post by incleficker » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:35 am

[jur] wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:32 am
Do you have M4L?

incleficker wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:50 pm
either way i will need to specify FE a repetition after every 43 beats.
What does "FE" means?
FE = for example. I don't have M4L, i did some research and it seems to be a very in depth tool. You think i can solve my problem with this?

subparuser

Post by subparuser » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:36 pm

incleficker wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:35 am

FE = for example.

This is an English language board, so we'll thank you to use the correct Latin abbreviation good sir or madam! :P

pottering

Post by pottering » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:34 pm

There are multiple ways, it really depends on what exactly you need.

Simpler, Sampler AND LOOPER can load and loop already recorded samples of arbitrary length (just dragged a stem into Looper, seems it has a limit of 50 or so bars, but 43 beats should be fine).

Clips (and hence Scenes) can have arbitrary length and Loop length.

Envelopes inside Clips can be unlinked and have separate length and Loop length.

Follow Actions and Scene Follow Actions can trigger at arbitrary times (a Scene needs at least one Clip in it for Scene Follow Actions to work), each Scene could be a prime number length, then you can use the Follow Actions jump between them automatically (Live 11 added Jump action and Linked besides Scene Follow Actions).

Arrangement Loop can have a arbitrary length, and you can set locators at arbitrary times and trigger them similarly to Scenes in Session View.

ClyphX and other remote scripts can trigger stuff at arbitrary times too.

If you already have some MIDI Clips with prime number stuff (length or notes) you can use Mutateful (https://github.com/carrierdown/mutateful) to combine it with other MIDI clips.
♥♥♥

incleficker

Post by incleficker » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:16 am

Thank you.

I just got ableton live after struggling with a boss rc 505 for over a year & being in touch with their customer support only to eventually conclude that it could not be done with their hardware/software.

I recently bought ableton and when i found the fixed length option i panicked when i saw the same limited amount of options in measures/beats.

So what i could do is add my own clicktrack to a loop and sync parallel loops with that. That channel only sends to my headphones while everything else goes to main out as well so i can play my prime number loops live with click & my lengths of my own choice.

I'll go try figure out ableton now, thank you!