Midi notes triggering daw changes after Live upgrade

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
is_ryan

Midi notes triggering daw changes after Live upgrade

Post by is_ryan » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:30 pm

I've been using Ableton Live 11 Lite that came bundled with my new Arturia Keylab mkII 61. Been using it for a few weeks now with no issues. It has built-in compatibility with Live so was very easy to get up and running.

Yesterday I upgraded to Ableton Live 11 Standard and suddenly my midi mappings are off. All of my settings in the Link Tempo Midi section and user folders from Lite transferred over and the DAW controls and most notes on my keyboard work just fine.

However, several keys in the keyboard now trigger DAW commands instead of their notes when I'm trying to play instruments. The rest of the keys play just fine. They're scattered all throughout the keyboard. It's made the keyboard completely unusable in Ableton. I assume this is just an Ableton setting I need to change, but I can't figure it out. I do notice that the "Key/Midi In" Indicator light will turn on when I trigger the following notes:

D4 - switches between arrangement and Session view
D5 - toggles loop switch
D#5 - Toggles punch-in switch

There are several more keys that don't register a note and light the Key/Midi In light, but they're not toggling any UI changes in the DAW so i'm not sure what they're mapped to. I went to the Midi mappings section and it's empty. I've tried restarting everything, messing with midi settings, and opened up my old version of Live Lite and it's happening there now as well.

Any idea what would cause this to happen with a simple upgrade from Ableton Lite to Ableton Standard? This seems like an Ableton thing and not specific to my keyboard. I just can't figure out where or how this changes were set.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Midi notes triggering daw changes after Live upgrade

Post by [jur] » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:56 am

If there's no midi mapping, then go to Live's Preferences, Midi tab and try disabling the Keylab Control Surface script, and let us know what happens.
You might want to reactivate it afterward to get control over the transport and racks etc... What I suppose happened is that you changed the Keylab preset on the hardware itself; check its manual and find which preset is designed for Live.
Ableton Forum Moderator

is_ryan

Post by is_ryan » Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:06 am

Thanks for your reply! This particular keyboard has a dedicated DAW button for Live and the preset is not editable so I don't think there were any issues there.

I had tried setting Midi Control Surface to none and other devices and then back, but what did the trick was setting them all to none and then closing out of Ableton Live completely. When I opened Live back up, Live automatically picked up that my keyboard was plugged in and must've done something to reset the connection because everything is working fine again. I had played with settings and restarted Live (and my computer) many times, but this particular combination is what worked.

pster766

Post by pster766 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:50 pm

Is there a way to upvote the post that I'm replying to on this forum? It, perhaps literally, saved my sanity... and the structural integrity of my Arturia MK2 61 midi controller keyboard.

brokbeatz

Post by brokbeatz » Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:04 pm

is_ryan wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:30 pm
I've been using Ableton Live 11 Lite that came bundled with my new Arturia Keylab mkII 61. Been using it for a few weeks now with no issues. It has built-in compatibility with Live so was very easy to get up and running.

Yesterday I upgraded to Ableton Live 11 Standard and suddenly my midi mappings are off. All of my settings in the Link Tempo Midi section and user folders from Lite transferred over and the DAW controls and most notes on my keyboard work just fine.

However, several keys in the keyboard now trigger DAW commands instead of their notes when I'm trying to play instruments. The rest of the keys play just fine. They're scattered all throughout the keyboard. It's made the keyboard completely unusable in Ableton. I assume this is just an Ableton setting I need to change, but I can't figure it out. I do notice that the "Key/Midi In" Indicator light will turn on when I trigger the following notes:

D4 - switches between arrangement and Session view
D5 - toggles loop switch
D#5 - Toggles punch-in switch

There are several more keys that don't register a note and light the Key/Midi In light, but they're not toggling any UI changes in the DAW so i'm not sure what they're mapped to. I went to the Midi mappings section and it's empty. I've tried restarting everything, messing with midi settings, and opened up my old version of Live Lite and it's happening there now as well.

Any idea what would cause this to happen with a simple upgrade from Ableton Lite to Ableton Standard? This seems like an Ableton thing and not specific to my keyboard. I just can't figure out where or how this changes were set.
You're f... right brother this is happens to me from 11.2 update..When I open any project, after key/midi indicator lights on and off this is not from midi keyboard as you said.. What we can do?