Follow Action suggestion?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Chancery

Follow Action suggestion?

Post by Chancery » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:59 am

So I have one track with two clips. I wanted the first clip to loop for most of the time but randomly every now and then the second clip to play once and back to the first one.
I set the second one to Next at 100% and 1x. Since they're adjacent and part of the same clip group, that does it.
I set the first one with the slider at 80%-20% and No Action-Next in the pulldowns. Problem is the Follow Action coin is tossed at each clip trigger, not at each iteration of the loop while the clip is running, so this doesn't work.
I switched No Action to Play Again so the clip keeps triggering itself 80% of the time, and therefore tossing the coin each time.
Problem here is the pad in Push is permanently flashing in green and gets visually very annoying, so I'm wondering if there's a solution that's less crude and more elegant.

siliconarc

Re: Follow Action suggestion?

Post by siliconarc » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:19 pm

have you tried scene actions instead? not tried with push but i maybe the scene trigger buttons flash instead of the pads, less distracting..

pottering

Post by pottering » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:10 pm

Chancery wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:59 am
So I have one track with two clips. I wanted the first clip to loop for most of the time but randomly every now and then the second clip to play once and back to the first one.
I set the second one to Next at 100% and 1x. Since they're adjacent and part of the same clip group, that does it.
I set the first one with the slider at 80%-20% and No Action-Next in the pulldowns. Problem is the Follow Action coin is tossed at each clip trigger, not at each iteration of the loop while the clip is running, so this doesn't work.
I switched No Action to Play Again so the clip keeps triggering itself 80% of the time, and therefore tossing the coin each time.
Problem here is the pad in Push is permanently flashing in green and gets visually very annoying, so I'm wondering if there's a solution that's less crude and more elegant.
"Follow ACTIONS" and "No ACTION" seems logical to me.

Push showing visual feedback for the user that a Follow Action took place seems logical to me as well.

What would be your "elegant" solution for people that actually want the to stop the Follow Actions in a certain Clip (not stop the Clip playback).
♥♥♥

Chancery

Post by Chancery » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:19 am

siliconarc wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:19 pm
have you tried scene actions instead? not tried with push but i maybe the scene trigger buttons flash instead of the pads, less distracting..
Good call. I'll give it a try since I'm working with just the one track, so shouldn't hurt. Thanks.

EDIT: It worked, thanks. Now what's flashing in the Push is the scene button on the right, which is a lot easier on the eye.