Ableton to MPC Live using MIDI inconsistent

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
shanejoseph

Ableton to MPC Live using MIDI inconsistent

Post by shanejoseph » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:57 pm

Hi there,

So I have a very odd behavior and wanted to get some advice. I tried searching but its so odd its hard to search for terms. I build a series of MIDI using the Captin Epic plugins and then I want to then send those MIDIs over to the MPC on different tracks. Here is the set up:

4 MIDI lanes in Ableton each with an Ext Instrument plugin attached each set to a different midi channel
A USB to midi cable connecting from the computer to the MPC Live
Individual tracks with different instruments on the MPC each set to receive on a different midi channel alligned to what was set in Live.
In Live preferences the MIDI USB is set to Track, Sync, and Remote.

When I hit play it sends a consisten clock and the MPC also starts to play. That is when thwe weirdness happens. It just simply sends the occasional note. Normally 1 note every two bars. However, if I go into the preferences for midi and uncheck either the remote or sync option (on the USB midi cable) it starts sending all notes in time. Then if I stop the playback and start again it does the same thing until I check or recheck either the sync of remote. It doesnt always do this on every midi lane but it is pretty consistent. It is the oddest behavior and I don't know where to begin. I recognise this is a unique use case but its something I wanted to play around with.

Anyway thanks to anyone that has a clue on this one. Its probably something simple I have missed.