Issues opening projects created with Live Beta

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jason.knight

Issues opening projects created with Live Beta

Post by jason.knight » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:24 pm

Ableton email

Hello, I have been using Ableton Live Beta for the past year to test out Live without Rosetta on my M1 Machine. - Beta version 11.2b12. Now that the Live production version supports M1 machines, I downloaded the production version. Production version 11.1.6

When I try to open projects created with the Beta version it tells me “the project was created with a newer version of Live. You need to download Live 11.2b12 or newer to open it”.

I have a ton of projects made with the Beta version. How do I open these projects with the production version of Live?

Can I download an older version of Beta, save the project and then open in the production version? Which version will work?

If this is the case, how do I download old version of the Beta?

Rivanni

Re: Issues opening projects created with Live Beta

Post by Rivanni » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:20 pm

You can't open 11.2 projects in 11.1.x
So you'll have to wait for 11.2 to be released or just keep using the 11.2 beta. You can have both versions installed side by side.

jason.knight

Post by jason.knight » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:55 pm

Hi Rivanni, thanks for the response. I assumed it might be this.

Unfortunately, I don't see a way to stop the auto updates for the Beta version. Typically it's in Live's preferences under "Licenses and Maintenance" however in the Beta version there is no way to set updates to manual.

How would I go about stopping updates with the Beta version of Live?

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:00 pm

You cannot stop the beta version from updating automatically. This is because beta testing and troubleshooting requires the latest version to be used.

Why do you want to stop the updates?

jason.knight

Post by jason.knight » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:25 pm

Because if the Beta version continues to update I will never be able to use the production version because it will always be behind.

If this happens I will never be able to open up the projects that were started in Beta.

Unless I'm missing something?

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:00 pm

Betas are always newer than release/production versions.
Whether the current 11.2 beta is updating or not, you still won't be able to use 11.2 projects in 11.1. So there is no reason to not update the beta. Just let it update and keep using the beta for your beta projects.

Like I said, at some point in time 11.2 will be officially released. From that moment on you can open the 11.2 projects you made in the beta and continue working in the release version. Until then, use the beta or start new projects in 11.1.6.

If you don't want to use a beta version anymore I suggest you stop using it after the release of Live 11.2, else you run into the same exact problem with a future beta. However, if you do want to use future betas then keep this backward compatibility issue in mind.

Is there a specific reason you want to use the release version instead of the beta? If you have problems, did you report them on Centercode?

AbletonMASCHINE

Post by AbletonMASCHINE » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:05 am

Hopefully (due to the quite small bugfixing notices according the current beta changelogs) we will get a 11.2 release soon.

Then don't forget to transfer your beta preferences:
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020443299

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:25 am

@jason: You're in luck. Live 11.2 is officially released.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:23 am

Nice. Happy Tuesday everyone. I wonder what kind of promotional stuff Ableton will put out with this update.

jason.knight

Post by jason.knight » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:17 pm

this is all fantastic news! thanks Ableton!

Sean Harvey

Re: Issues opening projects since downloading the latest 11.2 update

Post by Sean Harvey » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:48 am

I wonder if anyone can help, this is driving me mad.

I downloaded the latest Universal 11.2 update and now when I try to open recent projects they freeze and glitchy patterns appear in parts of the screen. It doesn't crash but my only option is to quit.

I have an intel mac running Mojave but was told the new intel update is only for macs running OS 10.13 only

It seems that if I start a completely new file it's fine. But even something created 2 days ago is affected

Is there anyway to reinstall the 11.2 version I was running before? This new update just isn't working for me.

I suppose the only other option is to try and uninstall all 11.2 and reinstall but I don't want ton lose all my settings and links to my projects.

Thanks

Sean
Last edited by Sean Harvey on Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:14 am

Did you try to disable Metal hardware acceleration? You need to add a line to options.txt. More info on this in the release notes.

Sean Harvey

Post by Sean Harvey » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:36 am

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to me, I just tried that but it didn't work.

It's really odd as sometimes the file opens up and I can play it but I can't select anything on the screen. My cursor just skates across the screen. I can't interact with anything - only the space bar works.