Korg M1 and multiple MIDI in channels

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
paddy-o-lantern

Korg M1 and multiple MIDI in channels

Post by paddy-o-lantern » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:53 pm

Hi, I'm new to Ableton, coming from more of an iPad/AUM background. I'm exploring using my Mac instead for live performances but having issues with basic MIDI routing to the Korg M1 plug-in from the KLC.

So I have a Keylab 88 sending on MIDI 1. I'm using Midifire for the routing and I have a channel strip that converts the MIDI 1 to MIDI 3. The MidiMonitor app confirms this is happening appropriately. The output of the channel strip goes to the "Midifire" destination in MidiFire.

In Ableton I have a particular MIDI track set to receive from Midifire only, and only on MIDI 3. Its MIDI receive indicators confirm MIDI is arriving. When the plug-in for that track is the Korg M1 from the KLC and if the M1 combi parts aren't set to receive on MIDI 1 they won't sound, even though MIDI 3 is what the track is receiving. They do sound if reset to MIDI 1. I would have expected the parts set to receive on ch 3 to respond. The problem is I have an extensive library of M1 patches from my iPad iM1 app and was assuming I could use them on the Mac. Because of other plugin settings I usually have my M1 set with global ch3 (for patch changes), and most patches receive on ch 3 for the main sound, 4 and sometime 5 for layers or splits that may need separate control, etc.

Also with a multimbral instrument like the M1 how, in Ableton, would one get the right midi streams to the right parts without having separate instances of the plugin? I'd have assumed, like it does on the iPad with AUM, once the approriate routing is done in MidiFire the Ableton track could be set to receive from MidiFire only but on all channels and then it'd be up to the M1 to only respond to what the combi parts are set to receive but it seems only ch 1 is passed to the plugin.

So is this an issue with Ableton and what it passes on to the plug-in or a problem with the plug-in (or just some basic thing I've missed)?

Thanks for you thoughts.

Pat