Can't get MIcrotuner to work properly in non-MPE mode

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ricecrispies

Can't get MIcrotuner to work properly in non-MPE mode

Post by ricecrispies » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:43 pm

I am trying to get Microtuner to work with a 24-TET Scala file. In MPE mode it seems to work OK sometimes, but I have very few MPE capable instruments, so I have been trying to use it non-MPE mode. Unfortunately, I am not having much luck. I can see that the Pitch Bend parameter has something to do with it, but it's not working for me. If I give it a high value, then all notes are rounded to the nearest semitone. If I give it a low value, then it gets really weird. The note above another note on the keyboard, instead of being a quarter tone higher, is often lower than that other note. I can see how it would get messy with polyphonic instruments, but even with monophonic instruments, it gets really weird and unusable on me. How can I use Microtuner to play my quarter tone scale properly?

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Can't get MIcrotuner to work properly in non-MPE mode

Post by [jur] » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:31 pm

Did you read the instructions in the Pack's help lesson?
The use with monophonic isn't the main purpose of the device, it's a "hack" to be able to do stuff with non-mpe synth, but it's really intended for mpe synth due to its nature.
Ableton Forum Moderator

pottering

Re: Can't get MIcrotuner to work properly in non-MPE mode

Post by pottering » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:18 pm

Pitch Bend (default 48 in Microtuner) has to match the Pitch Bend value in the instrument, not be arbitrarily "high" or "low"

If the instrument doesn't have any pitch bend setting visible or mentioned in its manual, that sure ain't Ableton's fault.
♥♥♥