Latency issue

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Soft Enerji

Latency issue

Post by Soft Enerji » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:44 am

Hello

Hoping someone can help with this. I'm using Maschine Mk3 as my audio interface. Sample rate is 44100 and buffer is set to 256. I get a distinct delay when trying to record vocals or bass. I have opened instances of Reason and Sonar with the same settings and have no problems with either DAW. It only happens with Live 11.

I've searched the net but can't find a solution.

I've only been using Live for a few months and have been on a steep learning curve. I really want this to be my main DAW as it intergrates so well with my NI gear.

Any suggestion most welcome.

My system specs are:

Wndows 10 Pro
Intel Core i9-10900K
32GB DDR4

Soft Enerji

Re: Latency issue

Post by Soft Enerji » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:56 pm

I have exactly the same settings in the other DAWs. I fact I can go to 512 and 48000 in both Reason and Sonar with no noticable difference.

I just checked the options and only Delay Compensation was ticked. Reduced latency when monitoring is now ticked and that seems to have solved the issue. Thanks for the tip :) Makes me wonder why it's even a thing though :?

Cheers!

Calagan

Post by Calagan » Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:39 pm

It means you had another plugin in your set, with a huge latency, that was delaying the whole session...

Soft Enerji

Post by Soft Enerji » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:41 am

Calagan wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:39 pm
It means you had another plugin in your set, with a huge latency, that was delaying the whole session...
Nope. That's not the case. It was heppening with every Live set I opened. Even a new one with nothing added.

Calagan

Post by Calagan » Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:22 am

Soft Enerji wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:41 am
Calagan wrote:
Nope. That's not the case. It was heppening with every Live set I opened. Even a new one with nothing added.
It's very strange, because "Reduced latency when monitoring" just means Live will not apply latency compensation on an armed track.
For exemple, if you've got a plugin anywhere in your set producing 100ms of latency and have "Delay compensation" ticked, you'll have 100ms of latency for the whole session. Even if the plugin is in a return track.
But if you've got "Reduced latency when monitoring" ticked, this latency will not apply on any armed track.

Are you sure you don't have a plugin with heavy latency on your template ?
Did you check all the tracks ? Return tracks ? Master track ?

Soft Enerji

Post by Soft Enerji » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:05 pm

Calagan wrote:
[/quote]

It's very strange, because "Reduced latency when monitoring" just means Live will not apply latency compensation on an armed track.
For exemple, if you've got a plugin anywhere in your set producing 100ms of latency and have "Delay compensation" ticked, you'll have 100ms of latency for the whole session. Even if the plugin is in a return track.
But if you've got "Reduced latency when monitoring" ticked, this latency will not apply on any armed track.

Are you sure you don't have a plugin with heavy latency on your template ?
Did you check all the tracks ? Return tracks ? Master track ?
[/quote]

Hmmmm so I tested this on a project with only one audio track and there is no latency at all when "Reduced latency when monitoring" is ticked or unticked. Opened a few more projects and the issue is on most but not all. I'm using Maschine for drums on most projects and also a few Kontakt Instruments which are probably CPU intensive. Only 2, 3 of 4 sends and nothing on the master.

I have far more intensive projects in Reason and Sonar and have no problems with either.

I just bought Cubase 12. Be interesting to see how that goes.

At the end of the day the "Reduced latency when monitoring" seems to fix the issue so I'll just keep it on.

Calagan

Post by Calagan » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:28 am

I truly think you should check more precisely what plugins you've got in your set.
It can happen you don't remember having this high latency processing in the AUX for exemple.

Try with a Live set where you remove everything and then start from scratch. Do you get any unwanted latency ? If no, then it's one plugin somewhere. If yes, mmmm, it's a strange issue.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:49 pm

You’ve listed the devices you use in your instrument channels but not the return channels. Those can potentially have latency inducing effects. Usually the culprits are heavy reverbs, guitar fx suites, mastering plugins, or things that need a bit of fft wizardry, or look m-ahead stuff.

Soft Enerji

Post by Soft Enerji » Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:29 am

yur2die4 wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:49 pm
You’ve listed the devices you use in your instrument channels but not the return channels. Those can potentially have latency inducing effects. Usually the culprits are heavy reverbs, guitar fx suites, mastering plugins, or things that need a bit of fft wizardry, or look m-ahead stuff.
Yup. I agree with all of the above.

Been working with Cubase 12 Pro the past couple of weeks and once again I have no latency issues, even at extreme settings. I even recreated an Ableton project device for device, track by track, effect by effect etc.... Trying to work with recording audio in Ableton was painful and I've never had these issue in any DAW I've used before.

I was enjoying Ableton but this basic issue is annoying and a game breaker for me.

Appreciate the help from those who chimed in.

ozinga

Post by ozinga » Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:57 am

Cubase is probably the only DAW that does not get effected for the live input whene there are high latency plugins on other channels and returns. Only Master inserts and the inserts on the actual channel cause latency in Cubase.
Also Cubase has GUI latency compensation. So no matter how heavy session is the playhead is always in time. In Live the playhead starts to stay behind with lots of latency inducing plugins. So what you see is not what you hear and becomes hard to do edits.

pottering

Post by pottering » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:08 am

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... ency-Works
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... toring-FAQ
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... ce-latency
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... ive-device
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... monitoring
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... sation-FAQ
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... sation-FAQ

Live's GUI shows the signal in meters (MIDI and audio) both before and after the latency inducing plugins at the same time, hence "latency compensating the GUI" makes no sense whatsoever, it would just make the signal path after the latency inducing plugins look out of sync, instead of the signal path before those.
♥♥♥

Soft Enerji

Post by Soft Enerji » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:17 pm

Thanks for all the input. I'll stick with Cubase but also hang on to Ableton. It's good to have options.
Last edited by Soft Enerji on Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soft Enerji

Post by Soft Enerji » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:21 pm

Soft Enerji wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:17 pm
Thanks for all the input. I'll stiick with Cubase but also hang on to Ableton. It's good to have options.