Evolution UC-33 & Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:54 pm

back on topic...

i use a UC-33 and have for over 2 years.

I'm always changing how i use it, but lately for gigs i have it set up for 8 channels, each with volume fader, 3 knobs on each channel are used for LowPass Filter , HighPass Filter (both of which are contained in one EQ4 device), and for SupaTrigga Granularity Amount (Supatrigga set up for instant repeat on only, no probabilities turned up. I find that i have more frequency level control over the sounds by subtracting frequencies with a combination filters, than by boosting, reducing frequencies with EQs.

I use the 9th fader for Master Volume, and 8 of the 1-10 number buttons for Cue Switches (i cue with an Audiophile Firewire)

And then i'll use a Trigger Finger pads for drum programming, triggering random samples, and the TF's sliders/knobs for effects and specific controls.

but the UC-33 rocks, yea its plastic, yea its got a little bit of added latency.
But i can say for sure thats its durable, reliable, and lightweight. And thats why i still use mine at every single gig. I'm starting to wish i had the UC-33*e* for use of the Engima Editor, which i really like using with the Trigger Finger.

Now thats just how i set it up for gigs.
When i'm writing tracks, anything goes.

dj_statikfire

Post by dj_statikfire » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:05 am

tip for a carl cox fan...

www.sonicsunset.com

Chicago's WNUR is this area's best radio station, they are always doing classic detroit sets. N'Joy!

Jason D.

gpvillamil

Post by gpvillamil » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:41 am

I think this has been mentioned before, but the UC33e can store 32 presets, 4 of them accessible by pushing one button.

So you can actually set up each preset with different MIDI channel numbers and controller numbers, and switch between them on the fly.

So for example you can setup preset #1 with one set of controllers, and assign it to the mixer (channel levels and send levels) in Ableton, set up preset #2 with a different set of controller numbers, and assign it to the controls of the operator synth, etc.

So when you want to mix, press the preset 1 button, when you want to tinker with Operator press the preset 2 button, etc.

Since you can assign MIDI channel #s as well, you have in effect 128*16 (2048) potential controls available. (Give or take a few reserved/non-supported cc#s).