Why do the transients drift off the grid?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
josefreak

Why do the transients drift off the grid?

Post by josefreak » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:52 pm

A friend sent me some stems, and one of them is a stem from the drum machine they used to jam along with. The drum machine was set to 142 bpm. I created a Live project and set the bpm to 142. I then lined up the stem (i.e. clip) so that the first beat (kick transient) was on the grid (warp turned off). Why is it drifting off the grid over time?

josefreak

Re: Why do the transients drift off the grid?

Post by josefreak » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:57 pm

Just for sh!ts and giggles, I tried 143 bpm, and it was in sync longer but eventually drifted. So is it possible that a digital drum machine's bpm isn't accurate?

josefreak

Post by josefreak » Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:24 pm

Well, I think the issue is based on the drum machine that my friend used. It's fairly old and I think the bpm resolution isn't as good as computers today. Seems weird, because it is a digital machine. But I added a few decimal points to the bpm and the transients stayed on the grid for a lot longer.

A youtuber helped me figure this out. He's got a great channel. You should check it out
https://www.youtube.com/c/LucasMessore

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:16 pm

josefreak wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:24 pm
Well, I think the issue is based on the drum machine that my friend used. It's fairly old and I think the bpm resolution isn't as good as computers today. Seems weird, because it is a digital machine. But I added a few decimal points to the bpm and the transients stayed on the grid for a lot longer.

A youtuber helped me figure this out. He's got a great channel. You should check it out
Alot of midi devices have bad clocks so it is most likely clock drift.

Softsynths tend to have better timing from what I remember because they go off of an audio clock which requires tighter timing. One of the main pros thar was mentioned to using soft synths when I started using them in 2003. Doesn't really get talked about much these days.

josefreak

Post by josefreak » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:13 am

jlgrimes wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:16 pm
josefreak wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:24 pm

Alot of midi devices have bad clocks so it is most likely clock drift.

Softsynths tend to have better timing from what I remember because they go off of an audio clock which requires tighter timing. One of the main pros thar was mentioned to using soft synths when I started using them in 2003. Doesn't really get talked about much these days.
This is definitely what was going on here. Even though the drum machine was at a set tempo, its clock drifted causing the band to drift with it. I tried lining it all up again with warp markers, but then the instruments sounded like crap, so I gave up.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:53 am

Try turning off Warping for that clip, does the drifting go away?
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com