How to get a Pop! out of a vocal track. Also, Tascam Model 12 problem

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mlbex

How to get a Pop! out of a vocal track. Also, Tascam Model 12 problem

Post by mlbex » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:41 am

I made a great vocal track, but there was this loud Pop in the middle of it.

With any other DAW I would select that part of the track, and EQ and attenuate it until it almost disappeared. I couldn't figure out how to do that though; any changes made to the track have to be made to the whole thing, with the exception of fade in or fade out. So I had to use a workaround.

I created a new track, started recording a couple of seconds before that part, and sang about 10 seconds. Then I cut and pasted the new vocal over the offending pop. But I had to be leave a blank segment before and after the re-pasted region because when it butts against the original, you can hear a click.

On to the Tascam Model 12. The preamps just don't get it. They can't handle the dynamics of my voice, which isn't all that dynamic. I spent hours chasing a booming midrange transient in my vocal tracks, and decided it was the Model 12 itself, Nothing made it go away. I reverted to using my Focusrite 4i4, which only has two real inputs (I don't use a synthesizer) and almost no adjustments, but by damn, the problem went away and the vocal tracks come out without distortion. (I'm using a Rode NT1000 mic). I'm considering stepping up to a Focusrite 18i8 for the extra two inputs. The Tascam is headed back to the dealer, which is too bad because it has very cool parametric EQ, compressors, effects and 8 direct low Z inputs.

Maybe simpler is better...

My 2 cents worth
Mike